HELP ! Locating source for brass "screw-on couplers"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

handsab

turning to IAP to see if anyone knows source for slip-on/glue-on threaded M/F couplers for 1/4" dowel Rod project. this type of screw on joint was used years ago in building wood gun cleaning rods allowing Rod segments to be joined and detached for storage. today,
Rods are simply threaded steel/aluminum (just unscrew) while electrican's tools i.e. "Fish tapes" are of fiberglass but still use a similar style coupler to detach and store. Drilling 1/4" dowel for inserts is not feasible and looking for a source or options... Thanks for any source referral!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

I have looked before for them, I gave up and made my own parts out of brass, but without wood. I used brass rods and drilled and tapped both ends. I used an all thread machine screw that I cut in to about 1" lengths. Half inch soldered into one end of each part. The drilling and tapping can be done on a wood lathe if you have a collet chuck. I forget the size of the brass rods, but it was smaller than 1/4". I think the all thread size I used was 6-32, but it may have been 8-32.

howsitwork

maybe you could adapt aluminium ""Nutsert" inserts? These are used in sheet metal work and use a type of drawing gun to squeeze the collar which then expands into a slightly larger drilled hole.

I use them M4 ( 4mm ) size for holding scraps of resin to make nobs. The. Nutserts are available in a number of threads and sizes over here and must be available over there. 19D0D883-E65A-4E4C-AA1A-C93ACA7D054C.jpeg848D65CF-3BF8-4312-9A05-06BAE34126A9.jpeg
B028F658-80DF-4C21-BD47-C58025BB15E6.jpeg
56F0A29E-8576-40CA-BABE-B941D1A76CEE.jpeg

howsitwork

I grip the insert in a jacobs type chuck or collet to turn . afterwards simply unscrew and you're done. With rae earth magnets yo7 can make useful magnets knobs to hold notes etc in the house ( or workshop but they re great gifts for SWMBO and earn many "brownie points " (or tool purchase points as they are otherwise known).šŸ˜‰

handsab

Thanks for the suggestions & options....hopefully a source will surface for the benefit of all. It's disheartening to think
They're n/a but might be the way it is---bummer if so..........

Curly

I searched muzzle loader ramrod parts. If you Loctite an 8-32 thread into one they will screw together.

Top Bottom