Help in identifying burl blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

Hello all !

Could someone please help me identify what the blanks are in the attached pictures...both pics are the same blanks they just have different lighting.
I "think" 1 thru 6 are amboyna, the others I don't have a guess.
Thanks.
20190716_162219.jpg
20190716_162118.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi Russ. Just a guess but 10-13 could be Curly Koa and 9 could be a straight run Koa. I've used pieces like these on some knives that came out very close to this. I could be way off base but that would be my best guess. Hope this helps.

1shootist

Hello all !

Could someone please help me identify what the blanks are in the attached pictures...both pics are the same blanks they just have different lighting.
I "think" 1 thru 6 are amboyna, the others I don't have a guess.
Thanks.
View attachment 222563View attachment 222564

I appreciate all the help!
Here are 2 more pics of opposite sides, these are dry..the first pics had mineral spirits on them.
Thanks again..

**Edited to add**..with greatly appreciated help from here and comparing the amboyna pics in the forsale forum I think all 1 thru 13 are amboyna (last 4 w/sap wood) and 14 being maple or brown malle .
Thanks everyone !
Russ
20190717_144338.jpg
20190717_143501.jpg

Last edited:

exoticwo

I appreciate all the help!
Here are 2 more pics of opposite sides, these are dry..the first pics had mineral spirits on them.
Thanks again..

**Edited to add**..with greatly appreciated help from here and comparing the amboyna pics in the forsale forum I think all 1 thru 13 are amboyna (last 4 w/sap wood) and 14 being maple or brown malle .
Thanks everyone !
Russ
View attachment 222601View attachment 222602
Sounds like you got it figured out Barry! If. 14 is hard as a rock then is might be Brown Mallee otherwise go with Maple burl

magpens

For 7, 8, 9 ... don't look like Amboyna to me.
I would say that 8, 9 could be Brown Mallee with those kinda circular spots.

1shootist

For 7, 8, 9 ... don't look like Amboyna to me.
I would say that 8, 9 could be Brown Mallee with those kinda circular spots.
you're probably right. i've just been over in the library looking through the wood ID site, much clearer pictures there ..it's interesting to try and determine what they are even if it doesn't really matter in the long run, i'm sure they'll all make great pens in the end .
i do appreciate your help.

exoticwo

you're probably right. i've just been over in the library looking through the wood ID site, much clearer pictures there ..it's interesting to try and determine what they are even if it doesn't really matter in the long run, i'm sure they'll all make great pens in the end .
i do appreciate your help.
My guess is Red Mallee not Brown

1080Wayne

Amboyna has a pleasant distinctive smell , so if 7-9 don`t smell the same as 10-13 , they are not amboyna . If they are mallee , they should be heavier than the amboyna . Assuming 14 is about the same volume as 4 of the other blanks , the same cpmparison with amboyna might indicate mallee if it is very heavy . If quite light , it could possibly be bigleaf maple . Sugar maple would be somewhere in between , probably closer to the amboyna .

Top Bottom