Help in Finishing Teak!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MJCookSr

I have a good friend that will be retiring at the end of this July. He was in the US Navy and after leaving the US Navy, he worked as an accountant. There will be a retirement party for him in August. Now with all that being said, I purchased some Teak that came off the USS North Carolina that is being sold by Woodcraft and I will make a pen as a gift to present to him. I will have it engraved with his name and the years of his employment. My concern is how to finish the Teak before sending it out for engraving and do I refinish it after it come back and with what?

I will be thankful for any and all help.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gratz

I have sent a number of items out to be engraved (highly recommend MRCOOK by the way!). I always completely finish the item (wood I use CA, acrylic I just polish). Send it out for engraving (and color fill in some cases) and done. There are some pictures on my facebook page if you are interested (penzbygratz).

Dave

JasonC

I recently made a pen for a friend with teak from the Mo and just used MM and applied some teak oil.

For that one I'd rather the guy be able to touch the wood than seal it completely in CA.

randyrls

I recently made a pen for a friend with teak from the Mo and just used MM and applied some teak oil.

For that one I'd rather the guy be able to touch the wood than seal it completely in CA.

Jason and ALL; If you apply the CA in a thin coat, and finalize it with some 0000 steel wool, the finish will be just like wood, nice and satiny.

Top Bottom