Help identifying 24 wooden blanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bigthin13

Hi there! I just purchased a couple bags of random wooden blanks and have no idea what they are! Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!!!!!
DSC_0269.JPG
DSC_0270.JPG
DSC_0271.JPG
DSC_0272.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Just a suggestion for future purchases, I would make it a point to have the person who is selling them to label them and to me if they can not do that then I would not buy from them You will get guesses here from some people but most times they are guess and I say that because it is such a small sample and hard to tell. Many times a wood can look like many types. I will leave the guesses to others but good luck.

Dehn0045

Getting a good ID on one blank is tough enough, 24 is approaching impossible. I usually recommend sanded endgrain photos, relative hardness and density (compared to known woods), odors, history/likely origin. But probably not practical to go through that work for a bag of random blanks - presumably purchased at a discount. Anyway, I'll take a shot at my best guesses:

1/2 - oak
3/4 - mahogany
5/6 - lati
7/8 - maple
18 - goncalo alves

bigthin13

Yeah I got these from Rockler on sale for $6.99 for 12 blanks. Great price, just is a pain that they don't ID the material for you.

jttheclockman

Yeah I got these from Rockler on sale for $6.99 for 12 blanks. Great price, just is a pain that they don't ID the material for you.

Ask them too before you buy them. As I said everyone can guess till the cows come home but ask them to bet their house on it and there will be no takers.:)

1080Wayne

It`s always fun to guess , but Sam`s suggestions will lead to the best guesses . Remove the wax first though . I would say 1&2 are probably some type of white oak , 5&6 possibly old growth pine of some sort , 7&8 possibly sugar maple , 20 possibly new growth pine of some kind .

Top Bottom