Help identify wood please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So I liked that mesquite enough to pick up another branch today. I also grabbed a round branch that had some very thin bark. I rounded it on the lathe to see what it looked like. Doesn't look like mesquite for sure. It also has a grainy feel to it. Can anyone guess what it might be. These are combined with all the other grated down trees on the lease road. I went ahead and drilled it out for a slimline just for curiosity. It's the round one next to the mesquite blanks I was able to salvage out of the other branch.

Attachments

• 20191025_190220.jpg
    20191025_190220.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have been looking at a Mescal Bean blank that I turned a few days ago. I have no certain recollection of who sent it to me, but I am suspecting Edgar. I cannot be for sure. We traded some stuff 2 yrs ago and it may be from him. I'll take a pict tomorrow. It may be similar.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have been looking at a Mescal Bean blank that I turned a few days ago. I have no certain recollection of who sent it to me, but I am suspecting Edgar. I cannot be for sure. We traded some stuff 2 yrs ago and it may be from him. I'll take a pict tomorrow. It may be similar.

Can't say that I recall ever having any Mescal Bean, but it's possible.

bsshog40

I googled it Mark, doesn't look like any tree I've seen around here. What gets me is that these lease roads have tons of small texas mesquite trees all over. Most don't even get over 4' tall around here. I'm sure this is another small tree that grows around them. I've been googling but not with much luck. lol

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Can't say that I recall ever having any Mescal Bean, but it's possible.

Hi Edgar! Not certain on my end, but I do have a box from you a few years ago with some local stuff. I've been poking at my "Treasures."

I googled it Mark, doesn't look like any tree I've seen around here. What gets me is that these lease roads have tons of small texas mesquite trees all over. Most don't even get over 4' tall around here. I'm sure this is another small tree that grows around them. I've been googling but not with much luck. lol

I have the pen in the basement, won't get back till late Sunday. I may grab it in the AM and take it to my in-laws and take a picture tomorrow.

bsshog40

So this is what it looked like before I turned it on the lathe a bit. Its not really a bark on it, mostly just a real light color over the wood. Here is also and end grain pic.

Attachments

• 20191025_204321.jpg
    20191025_204321.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 20191025_204305.jpg
    20191025_204305.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 161

mmayo

Any chance it is incense cedar. A jewelry maker gave me some of it and it has similar heartwood and sapwood. It sells well. Light cuts or skew near the end or get tear outs.

bsshog40

Any chance it is incense cedar. A jewelry maker gave me some of it and it has similar heartwood and sapwood. It sells well. Light cuts or skew near the end or get tear outs.
You know, it doesn't look like cedar to me but I don't know all cedars. There are a lot of fences out here that use thin cedar posts in between the T posts. This may have been a cedar post that was mowed down. Where the wood was broke in a couple spots, it looked very splintered. You could be on to something. ;) Of course I have a few of these cedar posts that are used for fencing. They have a peeling bark on them. This may be one of them with the bark worn off though.

Last edited:

bsshog40

Man, the more I think about it the more I think mmayo hit the nail on the head. I hardly ever see any other trees on these lease roads except mesquite trees. But we have a lot of fences out here where they always thrown in these skinny cedar posts between the T posts. I can't believe I just glued up an old cedar post to turn. šŸ¤£

MTViper

lol, I have an "old cedar post" in my shop I need to cut up and make something from. It's 8' long, 6" diameter at the top, 8" diameter at the base. Was in the ground 50+ years out near Ft Stockton. Not sure what I'm saving it for, other than just trying to figure out what I want to do with it.

bsshog40

Oh well, so I just turned that ole piece of cedar post today. Nothing special in the grain. It did have a little color at the beginning but it pretty much lathed out. Won't waste my time on those anymore. Lol

Attachments

• Side 1.jpg
    Side 1.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Side 2.jpg
    Side 2.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 147

penicillin

I think it is a pretty pen. The color and grain look appealing to me. If I gave that pen to one of my friends, they would appreciate it very much.

If you are sure you do not like it, think about donating it to your local public library. They always need working pens. That is what I do with my "duds", as long as they can write.

Top Bottom