help ID this wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey guys! So, I was "scrap bin" diving at woodcraft again today & found this stuff & can't quite ID it. Here's the board and a cross section I cut off.
Maybe Mahogany?

here's the clues;
-Warm Reddish brown tone
- less heavy/dense than walnut, but not by too much. Sold, but not dense.
- Lighter/more open grain structure-
- Scent is mild and a touch exotic (like a rosewood & but less strong than bubbinga). Not a "mmmm! Fresh cut Wood!" Scent, but "hmm… exotic wood".

anyone want to throw out some guesses? Otherwise I was going to call it mahogany 🤷🏻‍♀️
I've placed a piece of walnut on the right for color comparison of browns.
8B849D9C-93C7-43E0-B7E2-0251C3A92841.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I believe I have come across at least 3 or 4 different mahoganies. The texture of the wood seems very consistent but the color is the biggest variation.

I'm thinking either Mahogany or possible Hawaiian KOA. Koa is usually very very expensive though, about 3 times that of Mahogany.
This was a "pay by the Lb" scrap bin, so pricing doesn't apply (other than weight). I'll do some visual digging into Koa. I used to see it a lot where I worked, but that was almost 20 years ago, so I'm a bit fuzzy! But now that you mention it, it did have that same shade of red brown!

1080Wayne

A close look at well sanded end grain should help with identication .

Central American mahoghany : Distinct growth rings , medium large pores visible without lens , rays barely visible without lens
African mahogany : Usually indistinct growth rings . medium to medium large pores and distinct rays , visible without lens
Koa : Growth rings not distinct . Pores , fairly small , not distinct without lens . Rays very fine , not visible without lens

From `Identifying Wood` , R Bruce Hoadley

Top Bottom