Help filling bone pores

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So I got a hunk of bone in a box of wood a while back. I finally turned it down to be used for a pen blank. One side is really nice but the other side is very porous. I sanded off some of the bone not being used and collected a bit of powder. I asking what might be the best way to fill the pores with the powder? I have a couple ideas but looking for help from someone with more experience. My ideas are: Either wait til sanding to finished size and just put CA over the powder from the sanding or Mix the powder with some CA and wipe over the porous area. Thanks for any input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Maybe don't fill the pores with powder and just fill the pours either with CA or a clear resin. Accentuate it rather then fill/hide it.

If you use the power pack it into the pore and the apply thin CA to a solid area and allow it to flow/wick into the powder. I use this method with turquoise powder on Cholla Cactus.

Might practice a bit on a throw away cut off.

Darley

So I got a hunk of bone in a box of wood a while back. I finally turned it down to be used for a pen blank. One side is really nice but the other side is very porous. I sanded off some of the bone not being used and collected a bit of powder. I asking what might be the best way to fill the pores with the powder? I have a couple ideas but looking for help from someone with more experience. My ideas are: Either wait til sanding to finished size and just put CA over the powder from the sanding or Mix the powder with some CA and wipe over the porous area. Thanks for any input.

Turn nearly to bushing size then cover all porous area with a some Epoxy glue (5 minutes ) mix with some Pearlex ( you choose the colour ) when all fill let cure 24 hours then turn to bushing and sand off
Hope this help

Last edited:

sbwertz

You can also use brass filings from a key cutting machine if you want to add a bit of glitz. Do it the same way as the pearlex. They polish up nice and bright with micromesh, and stay that way after finishing.
Warning....wear nitrile gloves when handling brass filings....they are second cousins to cactus spines.

bsshog40

Thanks for the input y'all. Gonna try some of the powder with ca and a cutoff piece and see how it turns out. I really want to keep it more natural than anything. Hopefully it will turn out. Thanks again!

Top Bottom