HELP - bowling ball blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashaw

I just received some bowling ball blanks
All ready turned one pen. Turnes great, but I notice alot of scratches from the sanding and polishing process. Also how do you get a high gloss on them. Sanding to 12,000 grit does nothing. Still maintains a satin finish.

[:0]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

I'm sure someone is going to recommend EEE by shellawax.
I've never used it,but I have had great luck wet sanding with Micro mesh and mineral oil on crushed velvet which is an acrylic.
Have you tried a piece of brown paper bag after The final "grit" of MM?

wayneis

First off you have to wet sand and the MM sanding pads work the best for all of the non-woods. I then use the plastic polish from the company that makes MM, but I'm sure that most any plastic polish will work just fine. As a matter of fact, I have also used Meguires Mirror Glaze Compound with very good results, it is an automotive polish and I use it after using Enduro Poly finish on my pens. It gives a very high luster.

Wayne

pen-turners

Originally posted by ashaw
<br />I just received some bowling ball blanks
All ready turned one pen. Turnes great, but I notice alot of scratches from the sanding and polishing process. Also how do you get a high gloss on them. Sanding to 12,000 grit does nothing. Still maintains a satin finish.

[:0]

Alan,
Are you wet sanding??? If not, you may be building up too much heat during the sanding process which will cause the cloudy appearance. MM will help but all you will be doing is polishing a cloudy material. This also happens on acrylics if they get too hot. If this happens, all the sanding or polishing in the world will not help.

Chris

ashaw

Thanks everyone.
I have been drying sanding though 320 grit. Then wet sanding with MM.
I'll try the wet sanding first. Did not think of it. With the acrylics I had no problems. This material is really soft and not forgiving. Try again. Any way it's making the round at work. All the bowlers now want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom