Help Afzilia burl blank problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

J.L.DAVIS

Help!! I am on my third set of blanks trying to turn Afzilia Burl. I have sharpened my tools yet again, and I am still having trouble turning this wood. Every time I put it on the lathe the blank ends up busting apart. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Are they all from the same cutting? You could have an unstable batch. Are they stabilized? If no, you may want to putchase them stabilized or you could try using CA throughout the turning, assuming its the wood, not dull tools or pushing too hard. I have had them blow out on occasion, but have had mostly successes.
When is it busting apart, near the end, when you have a very thin surface? If so, use CA when you turn it round, then after you can tell you've turned the last coatiing off. It may take 3-4 coats, maybe more, but the wood is so stunning, its worth the trouble.
Hope this helps.

J.L.DAVIS

Are they all from the same cutting? You could have an unstable batch. Are they stabilized? If no, you may want to putchase them stabilized or you could try using CA throughout the turning, assuming its the wood, not dull tools or pushing too hard. I have had them blow out on occasion, but have had mostly successes.
When is it busting apart, near the end, when you have a very thin surface? If so, use CA when you turn it round, then after you can tell you've turned the last coatiing off. It may take 3-4 coats, maybe more, but the wood is so stunning, its worth the trouble.
Hope this helps.

2 different batches. It is happening even early into the turn just as I am getting it round. I was pushing very lightly on this 3rd one thinking I was going to hard. Thanks for the suggestions I will give that a try.

Jared

Top Bottom