Hello

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ramusmc

Thanks for accepting my request. I have been turning for about 2 years and am always learning and exploring. I have been trying my hand at epoxy lately and have been struggling with bubbles and pockets of air. I got a pressure tank but don't know how to use the thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ramusmc

Superclear from Amazon. I tried thin layers and I tried waiting for the bubbles to rise but the bubbles outlast the cup life.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Ramusmc, too IAP. I don't have an answer for you on the bubbles except to put them under pressure, which is what most people do. I would suppose to make sure the temp of the epoxy is about 80° to 85° so that the bubbles can rise faster, but too high and it will set faster. This is where pressure helps decrease bubbles.

Ramusmc

Thank you for the response. I am making a pressure tank out of the harbor freight paint tank. Maybe you can answer another question. If I want to add something to the epoxy how do I keep it from floating while in the tank? A simple weight so it?

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am not your expert on this, however we do have many that are. On this thread, it is under "Introductions", and the experts on casting don't always notice questions in the introduction.

Could you re-post your questions on casting and pressure pots on this forum:

You will get some very good answers there.

jttheclockman

Superclear from Amazon. I tried thin layers and I tried waiting for the bubbles to rise but the bubbles outlast the cup life.

Sorry I do not know your name but welcome to the site. I agree this question would get more play in the blank casting forum but since I seen it here I will post some thoughts. The resin you mention, I have no idea what it is so hard to comment on it. But will say this any resin you use make sure it is a casting resin. If you are using a bar top or fiberglass covering resin it will very hard to work with. It can be done but not worth the effort. Alumilite is used by many but requires a pressure pot at all times. Polyester resin such as Silmar41 works best with pressure but can be done with out if you thin the resin by heating it before adding the catalyst. This thins it. The best resin to cast with without a pressure pot is epoxy resins. The two that are very popular are Liquid Diamonds ( this is the one I use) or Royal Palm resin. There are now numerous resins on the market. Many people like the West System resins for casting. But again need to know the resin you are using.

Top Bottom