Hello

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WOLFITZ

Hey guys i have never made a pen but it sounds fun. I love pens though. never even crossed my mind. My recent desire came from for current job. I am a police officer and conducted a traffic stop a week ago and a man refused to use my penso he could use his new pen he had made. My current pen in use is the Zebra F-701. Because of its knurling and build construction its perfect for me. However, i want to make some now. So please point me in the right direction.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Welcome

You're in the right place Are you thinking of making the investment to get started? Do you have a lathe?

That was pretty ballsy of that dude to turn down your pen Lol

plano_harry

Welcome Jim! Texas is a pretty big location. If you want to meet other turners in your area, subscribe to the closest local chapter forum.

WOLFITZ

Well I have no idea what kind of investment I'm in for but I want to build a pen that's for sure. In in San Antonio. He was getting a ticket, but you could tell he was just trying to show off his pen

Mike Young

Welcome Jim, your service upholding the law is deeply appreciated. Often times yours is a thankless job. You need a hobby like turning to help you unwind after a bad day.
Happy turning
from Mike Young
In Hetonville, IN

Mike Young

Jim,
I just saw a small lathe at a Pawn Shop for $150. Keep your eyes open on EBay, Craig's List, auctions, seized property auctions, local paper. Keep your investment small at 1st to make sure you like it would be my advice. Don't get cheep with he tools though. You get what you pay for.

Mike Young

Suggestions

The materials to make a pen are not that expensive though. There is a link above to vendor catalogs. 7mm CROSS style sets are an easy place to start.
Happy turning,
Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom