Hello from Vegas!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnnyJeep

Well, let me tell you how this happened…. I have always wanted a lathe. As a college student, I worked in framing and part time at Sears in the tool department. One day I brought a scrap 4X4 in, put it on the display lathe and did some turning on it. Only got in trouble because I left everything there, including the chips. I thought it enhanced the display. Boss loved it except for the mess. Told me to clean it up, but leave the wood chucked, she actually liked the "new" display. I enjoyed doing it. Never got a lathe. Fast forward 35 years and I'm trying to get back into wood. Searched up lathe projects to see if anything caught my interest enough to justify buying a lathe and stumbled upon this forum. From what I've found, this appears to be a satisfying hobby, I think I am going to enjoy learning how to make blanks that when turned, will make interesting pieces of art! First thing is to get a lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Well, let me tell you how this happened…. I have always wanted a lathe. As a college student, I worked in framing and part time at Sears in the tool department. One day I brought a scrap 4X4 in, put it on the display lathe and did some turning on it. Only got in trouble because I left everything there, including the chips. I thought it enhanced the display. Boss loved it except for the mess. Told me to clean it up, but leave the wood chucked, she actually liked the "new" display. I enjoyed doing it. Never got a lathe. Fast forward 35 years and I'm trying to get back into wood. Searched up lathe projects to see if anything caught my interest enough to justify buying a lathe and stumbled upon this forum. From what I've found, this appears to be a satisfying hobby, I think I am going to enjoy learning how to make blanks that when turned, will make interesting pieces of art! First thing is to get a lathe.
Welcome back to the addiction. 😉 Your next essential move is to join tool lovers anonymous ( aka your local wood turning group ) 👍. They can help you with advice and let you try out their tools, lathes to make your selection easier.

Only goes to prove once hooked on it there's no cure except to indulge the hobby. So first comes the lathe and a selection of tools .

Second thing to get a decent 8" grinder and face goggles. Then you've got a range of items you can make with it!

Always make a few things SWMBO likes early on , then you get encouragement, birthday presents and "tool tokens "are easier to come by . Also you maybe " encouraged " to attend club meetings to make a mess elsewhere 😊

Oh and welcome from one of the UK contingent of addicts

Top Bottom