Hello from Vancouver Washington - Newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephanie

I am a 50+ single gal looking for a new fun healthy outlet to the crazy world around me aka distraction. I have two wonderful grown kids and one grandson.

I like woodworking, but tired of my projects being DIY house related, basically burned out for now. I wanted something more creative with a semi-quick satisfaction of completion.

A good friend of mine, her husband started turning a couple years ago. He re-made some handles to some old chisels that I have and when I went to pick them up and he started showing me all of the things he has been making, I started drooling.

I took a pen class at Woodcraft and loved it. So I went and spent the kids inheritance(not really, but it felt like it) on the Laguna 12/16 and a bunch of tools and goodies for pen turning.

In watching more YouTube videos on turning, then should be legally allowed, one of the people I follow mentioned this place, so here I am.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brandy

Welcome! I also took a class at Woodcraft and got hooked. So much for a fun and cheap way to spend the afternoon. That $40 class has cost me $1000's! But I do love it!

jttheclockman

Welcome to the sight from NJ. Good to see more women getting into the hobby. Have any questions just jump right in and ask away. Lots of info amongst the many threads in the many different forums here. Good luck in your venture.

magpens

@cheetah1965 - - Just adding to what others have said .... it's good to have you on board !!! :D

I've found that pen making is a good distraction and relaxation for me.

One of the main things is the fairly rapid approach to completion and gratification. . "A thing of beauty is a joy forever" ... sort of thing !

I didn't spend much time on slimline kits but quickly moved on to more attractive architectures like the Berea Sierra kits, the PSI 30 Caliber Bolt Action,
the Electra, the Zen ..... there are lots to choose from nowadays. . Of course, some folks stick with slimlines "their whole lives" and I am not knocking that
but I don't find them as inspiring as the other kits I have mentioned. . Just thought I'd mention that in case you feel constrained by feeling that you have to master slimlines before moving on.

One fairly new kit that I like a lot is the Berea Sierra Super Button Click, using the very quiet and reliable Schmidt click mechanism. . Highly recommend.
Have a look ..... https://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-...ml?Category_Code=pk-Sierra-Super-Button-Click

Also ... in addition to wood blanks, be sure to buy some Alumilite blanks to try fairly soon. . They are not cheap but well worth the extra.

There's lots of inspiration here and lots of help/suggestions available. . Just "shout out" and many will be happy to contribute ideas.

Stephanie

@cheetah1965 - - Just adding to what others have said .... it's good to have you on board !!! :D

I've found that pen making is a good distraction and relaxation for me.

One of the main things is the fairly rapid approach to completion and gratification. . "A thing of beauty is a joy forever" ... sort of thing !

I didn't spend much time on slimline kits but quickly moved on to more attractive architectures like the Berea Sierra kits, the PSI 30 Caliber Bolt Action,
the Electra, the Zen ..... there are lots to choose from nowadays. . Of course, some folks stick with slimlines "their whole lives" and I am not knocking that
but I don't find them as inspiring as the other kits I have mentioned. . Just thought I'd mention that in case you feel constrained by feeling that you have to master slimlines before moving on.

One fairly new kit that I like a lot is the Berea Sierra Super Button Click, using the very quiet and reliable Schmidt click mechanism. . Highly recommend.
Have a look ..... https://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-...ml?Category_Code=pk-Sierra-Super-Button-Click

Also ... in addition to wood blanks, be sure to buy some Alumilite blanks to try fairly soon. . They are not cheap but well worth the extra.

There's lots of inspiration here and lots of help/suggestions available. . Just "shout out" and many will be happy to contribute ideas.
Thank you so much for your post. I have bought some fancy blanks and not really sure what I have, but they caught my attention and so I bought them. I also bought a bunch of different pen kits. Again not sure about it all, but I liked them also, so I bought em'. Buying the lathe was the cheap part. I am pretty excited to get started once a few more things I ordered for the lathe come in.

jjjaworski

Welcome from New Mexico Stephanie.
You have certainly opened a can of worms by getting interested in pen making and turning. There are so many options and choices to keep your creative juices flowing.
Hopefully you will also turn some other things besides pens on that new lathe.
Plenty of useful information here and folks willing to share information.

Best of luck with your turning experience.

KenB259

Welcome to the addiction, but it is very therapeutic as well and very satisfying. It can get expensive, but once you have what you need, the costs drop drastically.

MRDucks2

Welcome aboard from Washington, Indiana.

Though I am not making many pens at the moment as I shuffle my shop around, I have had a chunk of Hackberry in the lathe for a couple of months. When needing to relax or just to end a day I will spin it up, make a few cuts trying different things with different tools, then shut it down. Sawdust and wood chips are an elixir for making a good end to a day.

MPVic

I am a 50+ single gal looking for a new fun healthy outlet to the crazy world around me aka distraction. I have two wonderful grown kids and one grandson.

I like woodworking, but tired of my projects being DIY house related, basically burned out for now. I wanted something more creative with a semi-quick satisfaction of completion.

A good friend of mine, her husband started turning a couple years ago. He re-made some handles to some old chisels that I have and when I went to pick them up and he started showing me all of the things he has been making, I started drooling.

I took a pen class at Woodcraft and loved it. So I went and spent the kids inheritance(not really, but it felt like it) on the Laguna 12/16 and a bunch of tools and goodies for pen turning.

In watching more YouTube videos on turning, then should be legally allowed, one of the people I follow mentioned this place, so here I am.
So glad you joined us; there's no better forum that has countless number of folks so willing to help you.

howsitwork

Welcome to the addiction, but it is very therapeutic as well and very satisfying. It can get expensive, but once you have what you need, the costs drop drastically.
No, no , no welcome to THERAPY and you get to make nice things as well ! 🤦‍♂️

Not sure whether I should show SWMBO the bit about " costs drop drastically " as only been wood turning 30 years so haven't reached that stage yet, 🤷‍♂️

Should I tell her 50 years until that happens Ken???( starting now of course ) 🤔

KenB259

Not sure whether I should show SWMBO the bit about " costs drop drastically " as only been wood turning 30 years so haven't reached that stage yet, 🤷‍♂️

Should I tell her 50 years until that happens Ken???( starting now of course ) 🤔
LOL... Hey it's my story, I'll tell it my way 😁

Stephanie

Like most "hobbies" The budget was busted long ago. So that means when I am 105 I might see a return on my "investment" :rolleyes:😁

Top Bottom