Hello from Vancouver, Canada

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

I have been a woodworker off and on since I retired 15 years ago, regularly over the past 3 years. I started out making boxes thinking small would be easy :). That was my first mistake but it sure helped to hone my skills. Then about 9 months ago I bought a lathe. Boy I wish that I had done that sooner. I made the decision at the outset to only use carbide tools which allowed me to get up the learning curve quickly. I don't doubt that the traditional turners are cringing at that! I soon became fascinated with segmented turning and recently tried my first open segment bowls. I was trying to think of ways to use the valuable scraps from making bowls when I came across an introductory article on pen making, which I printed out. My wife found the article and read it. "So you can make pens" she said. That was my next mistake! So I investigated further and discovered no doubt like all of the people here that it is a fascinating subject like most aspects of woodworking. Over the past month I purchased some basic pen making kit and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a good complement to my bowl work, though I can easily see that it might become a fairly large share of my time :). So, that is what brought me here eager to learn from those with way more experience than I.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

Welcome from California! There are several active members who live in the Lower Mainland. We lived in Richmond before we moved to California.

howsitwork

welcome to the site that gives your family a lifetimes worth of present inspiration ……😂😂😂😉 for things they can ge5 you 😉

NGLJ

Thanks for the great welcome. I know that I am going to really enjoy being part of this community. Like many pen turners I started out with cheap slimline kits on which I could make mistakes without crying too much :). I very soon became bored with that and made a few Sierra pens, including some simple segmented pens, for the family and some friends that my wife volunteered me for! I guess segmentation is in my blood. The segmented work here sets a very high standard that one day I might achieve. I have attached a photo of my first "experimental" pen (very simple). It is a "fat" slimline pen. All suggestions for improvements would be appreciated.

Attachments

• P1010296.JPG
    P1010296.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 65
Top Bottom