Hello from Toronto

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jordan303

Hey guys. My name is Jordan and im 20. I live just North of Toronto (Vaughan area). I go to college in Sault Ste. Marie and am in the aviation-flight program. I'm in my last year and for my grad present i'm going to have my parents help me out to purchase a turning system at the end of april.

I have been reading a ton on this site and it seams like the best way to go is to not buy a complete kit. I wanted this one http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK073SPECV.html but with all the accesories I want theres no way i'll have the cash. The upside is the free shipping. Was also interested in turning wine stoppers, flashlights, and once I get better I want to do bowls. Was also curiouse if turning acrylic is harder on the chisels then wood.

I haven't seen a newbie sticky on this site. Is there one? Or like a complete guide to turning? I keep doing searches but haven't turned anything up except for individual questions I have.

Lastly anyone recomend a good site to get started? I don't mind ordering from the states cause I live 10 min from the border (for now) and can have it shipped to these companies that hold it untill I pick it up.

I'm extremly excited to get into this hobby and can't wait untill I get the equiptment. I look forward to being an active member on these forums and hope to get to know all of you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I think your best bet, Jordan, is to visit an accomplished turner and see their setup - they can let you know what is necessary and what isn't...

But the basics:

Get a lathe, obviously.
Get a grinder - white wheels at the minimum - they're better than the stock wheels...
get chisels - starter set is fine
pen mandrel, drill press, glue, sandpaper, micromesh...

That's your basic wish list to start with - get the lathe, and go from there!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Oh, that's American money too, by the way, and the free shipping never seems to include Canada...

Have a look at Busy Bee tools and KMS tools...lots of eye candy there...penblanks.ca is Canadian, and there are a few other Canadian sites we can help you find!

Welcome to the addiction! :D

Andrew

bad

Welcome from Calgary Jordan. I'm originally from just outside of Toronto in Pickering.
The only thing that I can add to Maxwell Smart's post is to make the grinder either a slow speed (1700 RPM) or variable speed (1900 - 3500RPM).

micharms

Jordan:
You might want to check out Woodchuckers Supplies

Woodchucker's Supplies
1698 Weston Rd
Weston, Ontario
M9N 1V6
CANADA

E-MAIL sales@woodchuckers.com
1-800-551-0192 local 416-241-8654
Fax 416-241-8656
Store hours:
Mon to Friday 9 to 5.30 and Sat 9 to 5:00 Closed on Sundays..

John is a great guy to deal with and his prices a good.

Michael
(Just a little bit north in Owen Sound)(okay but south of Sault St. Marie):biggrin:

Dagwood

Welcome Jordan.
There are plenty of sites for wood supplies this side of the border with excellent products and competitive pricing.

What type of Aviation training are you taking? I have a background in Helicopters for the last, oh, say 20 some years....

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Jordan:
You might want to check out Woodchuckers Supplies

Woodchucker's Supplies
1698 Weston Rd
Weston, Ontario
M9N 1V6
CANADA

E-MAIL sales@woodchuckers.com
1-800-551-0192 local 416-241-8654
Fax 416-241-8656
Store hours:
Mon to Friday 9 to 5.30 and Sat 9 to 5:00 Closed on Sundays..

John is a great guy to deal with and his prices a good.

Michael
(Just a little bit north in Owen Sound)(okay but south of Sault St. Marie):biggrin:
Hi Jordan; Just to clarify, the Woodchuckers site isn't up to very much, but John carries everything that PSI handles. Get yourself a PSI catalogue. He may not have it in stock, but he will get it for you. A great guy to do business with!
He will have a booth at the Canadian Home Workshop Show at the Airport this weekend. You should drop by and talk to him.

Jordan303

Wow I leave for a few hours to the library and come back to a lot of welcoming. Thank you all very much. I will definitly check out Hank's tutorial. I still have a few months to figure out what i'm doing but will take the oppurtinity to learn everything and once summer hits turn everything I can. Definitly going to check out woodchuckers.

Wood of 1 kind- Next time i'm going to be in town I will definitly take you up on that offer. I live near duffrin and rutherford so it's not a problem! I would love to see how its all done... you tube just can't be the same as seeing it in real time.

Maxwell- I can have stiff shipped across the border then drive and pick it up. The bridge in only 10-15min from Upper michigan. But it would be more convenient to just get it from this country.

As for companies shipping

Dagwood. The aviation program i'm in is airplanes. We get our commercial Multi IFR out of it, speaking of which i'm writing my INRAT in a week. What type of helicopters do you fly?

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE WARM WELCOME

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Jordan. Good to have you here. I have been out a couple of days and am glad to see that Barry posted a link to a file that lists some of the things, methods and tools that are helpful. Thanks Barry. :)

If you have questions or if we can help - let us know.

wood-of-1kind

Wood of 1 kind- Next time i'm going to be in town I will definitly take you up on that offer. I live near duffrin and rutherford so it's not a problem! I would love to see how its all done... you tube just can't be the same as seeing it in real time.

Weston Road & Rutherford Road intersection. We're real close. PM me when you're ready and I will give you my shop address.:)

Top Bottom