Hello from the Sticks of Missouri

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duderubble

Hey all. Brand new here. I'm in Phillipsburg, MO not far from Lebanon. I got a Shop Fox mini lathe for my Birthday in October but haven't really done anything yet. I finally bought a beginner slimline kit with a mandrel. Waiting for a chuck to come for drilling.

My first question is about pen kits. It's totally overwhelming. I think I prefer the thicker ones, but at least at first I don't want to overspend. Does anyone have a variety pack or maybe a favorite thick pen for beginners?

I'm looking forward to learning a lit here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Guy; Slimlines are actually pretty hard, but cheap and easy. Get some extra tubes as I buggered some up when I started. Start out with some wood assortments to begin. Slimlines are easily modified in all kinds of ways. Don't go wild on pen styles. Start with one or two styles and gradually add additional stles as the mood strikes you.
Kits have exploded since I started. The single tube pens like the Sierra or Majestic Squire are easier to make.

You will want a jacobs (drill bit) chuck for the tail stock, and a chuck for the head stock to hold the blank. You will need drill bits for the tubes, and bushings.

Look in the manual and see what Taper is in the tail stock and head stock. They will be listed as MT1 or MT2. MT stands for Morse Taper. Anything you put in the tail stock or head stock will have to match the taper. Head stock chuck usually screws onto the threaded spindle nose. Look at what that thread size is as well.

What model Shop Fox do you have?

Many of the sellers sell the same pen under different names. There is an App called "BushNTubes" that you can install on a smart device to tell you what tubes and bushings you need for a particular pen. There are also severla charts in the Library that will tell you what bushings are compatible.

Welcome, Pull up a chair and set a spell! There is an extensive Library of Articles you can browse.

magpens

Yes, the kit scene is quite overwhelming.

Slimlines are not an especially easy turn for newbies.

I would recommend the 30 Caliber Bolt Action ... a more expensive kit, yes ... but easier and more satisfying to work with.
This kit was designed and introduced by ... www.PennStateInd.com ... (commonly referred to as PSI) ... but other vendors sell them.
Best to stick to the genuine PSI kits (from any vendor who sells them) and avoid the Asian knock-offs. . You can tell the difference by examining the top of the clip. . On the Asian knock-offs, the top of the clip has a rounded-over bend because the clip is all one piece of metal with the bend giving you the horizontal and vertical parts from the same piece. . The PSI original (best) has a clip made of two pieces of metal and riveted together. . The one piece does the horizontal connection to the pen body (and the clip ring). . The other, vertical, piece is a very realistic replica of a 30 Cal. rifle and is the part that clips over your shirt pocket. . The PSI original design is by far the best, in my opinion.

The nice thing for beginners about the 30 Cal. Bolt Action is that it looks really good with a barrel that has straight sides, and that is just what a beginner needs to work with for starters. . No worrying about what shape to make the two barrels of a slimline. . Some beginning turners tend to make the two barrels of a slimline with bulges, which ends up looking like a pair of sausages, and nobody really likes that look.

duderubble

Guy; Slimlines are actually pretty hard, but cheap and easy. Get some extra tubes as I buggered some up when I started. Start out with some wood assortments to begin. Slimlines are easily modified in all kinds of ways. Don't go wild on pen styles. Start with one or two styles and gradually add additional stles as the mood strikes you.
Kits have exploded since I started. The single tube pens like the Sierra or Majestic Squire are easier to make.

You will want a jacobs (drill bit) chuck for the tail stock, and a chuck for the head stock to hold the blank. You will need drill bits for the tubes, and bushings.

Look in the manual and see what Taper is in the tail stock and head stock. They will be listed as MT1 or MT2. MT stands for Morse Taper. Anything you put in the tail stock or head stock will have to match the taper. Head stock chuck usually screws onto the threaded spindle nose. Look at what that thread size is as well.

What model Shop Fox do you have?

Many of the sellers sell the same pen under different names. There is an App called "BushNTubes" that you can install on a smart device to tell you what tubes and bushings you need for a particular pen. There are also severla charts in the Library that will tell you what bushings are compatible.

Welcome, Pull up a chair and set a spell! There is an extensive Library of Articles you can browse.

I think I have all the appropriate chucks and mandrels on the way. The slimlines I got because they were what came in a beginner's kit with the mandrel and barrel trimmer.

I just found my way to exotic blanks and got some blanks and a couple other (bigger) kits on the way. Some streamlines, cigars and managers. I got the appropriate drill bits and mandrels for each. I'll plan on starting with one style before moving on to another. I have enough on the way for about 30 pens.

Lucky2

Hello Guy, and welcome to the I.A.P. If you are just starting out, I recommend That you purchase a starter's pack each time you want to try another style of kits. By purchasing a starter's kit, you usually get two pen kits, the drill bit, and the bushings for the kit for a cheaper price. Then you would by purchasing each item separately. This is how I built up my bushings and drill bits, and bt doing it this way, I got to turn different types of pens quicker.

Len

FWIW. PSI sells a kit called the Graduate. 7mm tube on the bottom and 3/8" on top. It's an easy turn, looks great and you get two different sizes to work with on the same pen and you can turn both blanks at the same time on your mandrel.
If I were looking for a single tube I would go with the 30cal as mentioned by Mal (magpens). Another easy turn and looks and works great all put together.
Here's a Graduate I did a while back in Maple and 24kt Gold.
Welcome to the club and have fun!

Graduate in Maple.jpg

Top Bottom