Hello from the Caribbean!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SLGraybeal

Hello. My name is Shane. I am a 45 year old helicopter pilot living in Trinidad. (The last island in the Caribbean before hitting Venezuela.) I have a lot of down-time and love wood carving. I started making custom smoking pipes a while back. And then, while on vacation in Florida, I took a class on pen turning and got instantly addicted! I made a couple of the slimline pens during the class, but quickly moved over to the Legacy Classic Elite rollerballs when I got home because I like the thick, heavier pen bodies.

To be honest though, I've had more fun creating my own hybrid blanks. I built my own vacuum chamber, and retro-fitted a Grizzly pressure pot for casting. I've sold a handful of pens and a handful of blanks. This is probably the best hobby I could have asked for. I look forward to learning a lot from you guys!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hi Shane !! . Welcome to IAP !!

You should post a few pictures. . Maybe you could sell a few more blanks !! . Love to see 'em.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP Shane. I spend some time in the Cayman Islands, so I appreciate hearing from other Caribbeaners'.

Enjoy and Have FUN!

greenacres2

Welcome from Northwest Indiana!! I'm headed to Grand Cayman in April--first time in the Caribbean. Will be at a meeting but will have an extra day on the back end, hope to find a way to explore.
earl

MDWine

Welcome aboard from Virginia!
There is no place like this place near this place... this MUST be THE place!
The key here is to participate! Ask questions when you have'm, answer questions when you can, and make friends!

Don't forget pictures! WE LOVE pictures!

wishing4wind

Hi Shane, I'm in Bonaire and might have similar local woods and also the challenges of limited materials on a small island. I brought some pen kits but can't manage to cut my own blanks from local wood, so I'm having a band saw shipped in. It's challenging but people love them! ~Jeyna

magpens

Hi Jeyna !! . Welcome to IAP !! .... Ooops ... wrong thread !

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Shane.

I spent a week at Point Galeota a couple of years ago and picked up some great Trinidad wood from a local sawmill. Have fun!

Top Bottom