Hello from Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks for having me. I got my first lathe 6 days ago, and have turned 2 pens and a mechanical pencil so far, *hopefully* pictured below. Novice woodworker, absolute rookie turner, but I've definitely caught the bug. I look forward to getting to know y'all and soaking up all the knowledge I can.

Being a novice woodworker (I've had my bandsaw for about a month) with an incomplete shop, I always thought I'd "finish" my shop and be able to call myself a "fine woodworker" before I started turning, but my 8 year old had other ideas.

He's wanted to turn since I started bringing him into the shop with me about a year ago, and in his mind, the bandsaw completes our shop (as if I don't need a jointer, router lift, and drum sander), so he's been driving HARD for me to get one.

The guy I bought the bandsaw from (it's a Rikon 10-325 if anyone's interested), hit me up last week to offer me his lathe before posting it for sale. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a little WEN, so when he offered me a Jet 1014 with stand, carbide tools, chucks (FIVE of them, including 3 Easy Wood and a Nova), and miscellaneous accessories for $450, I couldn't say no. So that's where I'm at. He, as in, my son is gonna turn at least a pen, maybe a pen and pencil set, depending on how it goes, for his mom for her birthday in a couple weeks, so I'll definitely post that when it's done.

The first 2 pics are CA finished wenge (bold first choice, but I learned tons) and sapele, respectively. The pencil is acrylester, and the outside of the blank was FAR more interesting than the final product. Pretty much the entire other side is black. Not only was the acrylester an absolute bear to turn, but it lost all the red I'd bought it for. Poor choice for my first acrylic, but I didn't even know there were different ones. Anyway, no finish, just sanded and polished with micro mesh.

20210329_140342.jpg
20210331_010313.jpg
20210331_010415.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

Welcome from Wisconsin. For a new pen turner, your CA finishes look very good. Not the easiest of finishes to start with. Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Seven

howsitwork

Welcome to you both.

Now you just need to start leaving the relevant catalogues, clearly marked open a5 the correct pages when it comes round to birthdays, anniversaries, christmas etc.....

MTViper

Welcome from the Abilene area. What part of Texas are you from? There should be an AAW club somewhere near you. Good job on the pens

Top Bottom