Hello From SW Burbs of Chicago

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mgoetzke

Have been turning maybe 10 years. Made a few pens but then got into making bowls. Don't want any sympathy but 7 years ago lost my youngest son suddenly to ulcerated colitis and lost all incentive to turn or even do the many flatwork projects I use to do. Got my son to turn a few pens on my Delta 12" lathe and he was better than I! Mostly due of his interest I bought a new PM3520B so it's been hard to get back to the lathe. The other day I noticed two USPS boxes of pen blanks I bought years ago and for some reason bought 15 pen kits. Finally having a little fun spinning the lathe again. Already have gotten some great tips on how to get tooled up and processes to make quality pens here. I may go back to bowls too but who knows - I'm somewhat intrigued to possibly try some pen castings.

Thanks for letting me in,
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, Mike.
Pen turning is a great hobby, but you need to start saving!!!!!
Enjoy your time here, and finding friends.
Alan

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP Mike. Happy news though - Chicagoland is a hotbed of woodturning/penturning folks.

Have FUN!

JohnU

Hi Mike, welcome from Ottawa / Lasalle county IL. We have a Chicagoland pen turning chapter that used to meet at Rockler in Bolingbrook before Covid. We meet online now in zoom but hope to be back in person soon. We'd love to have you if your interested! …. and casting is a favorite of mine and many in the group and here on IAP so if your interested you've found the right place.

MRDucks2

Hey, Mike, welcome aboard from Washington, IN. I get up your way and sleep in the Bolingbrook, Lemont, etc. area from time to time. Sold a few blanks in the area and dropped them off in the past while I'm the area on other business.

greenacres2

Mike—great to see you here. And great to hear you're turning a bit. I finally put together a lift to store my EZ one in the garage—thanks for that tip!
Earl

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Mike!!

Good to see you found IAP!!! A great place to get answers to your questions,
welcome!!

Ed
Yes, the Ed from Exotic Blanks

Top Bottom