Hello from St. Louis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Michael_STL

Hi everyone,
I just started turning. I haven't used a lathe since junior high school. In fact my shop teacher was the inspiration for part of the principle in "Back to the Future" His favorite phrase was "Son, let me give you a nickels worth of free advice"

Anyway, I am setting up a shop, still need a band saw and belt/disk sander. And who know how many other tools, parts, etc. Practicing, working on turning and finished techniques. Made a few pens because I just had to.

Couldn't someone have warned me how addictive this is? It has been fun learning and trying all the different aspects of pen making.

I look forward to talking with everyone and exchanging practices.

MIchael_STL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DustyDenim

Welcome Michael from a fellow penturner about 100 miles north of you. Grab a big ole' cup of coffee each day and drink in all the wealth of information that you can receive from fine group of woodturners and then contribute back once you get pulled deeper into this vortex. If you want to attend a great meeting about penturning, please consider going to Champaigne Illinois one week from today (the 17th) and attending the Midwest Penturning Gathering. Lots of demonstrations, door prizes, and being able to meet and exchange information with other penturners like yourself. I have been the last two years and will be there next weekend as well. If you hav e any questions, just ask and someone can help you out on this site. Good luck.

Michael_STL

Thanks guys, this should be fun.
Fred, I would like to make a meeting but this one wont work for me. But I will try to get to a few, it would be great seeing some pens in person.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Michael. I help coordinate the Southwest Missouri local chapter. We meet again on September 18 at Lake Springfield Park. We usually have folks from 3-4 states at that picnic. We only meet twice a year so distance is not so bad when you only have to do it a couple of times. We have a local forum under the local chapters tab. Love to have you join us.

Michael_STL

Thank you all for the friendly welcome. It is great to see so many people from so many places come together in one place for one focus. this is going to be fun.

Michael_STL

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Michael. Yeah, it is rather addictive. But its a heck of a lot off fun, too. And very rewarding.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

Top Bottom