Hello from SF Bay Area

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dannyg0811

I have wanted to do this for a few years. So I have finally decided to give it a try. I have been watching videos and read up on this. I have started a list of what I need to get but need advice on a lathe. Suggestion please for a budget of less than $200. I saw a viriable speed mini lathe for about$ 120 at harbour freight but not sure. What's thedifferance in 1mt and 2mt. What is better for pen making? Looking forward to getting started.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Alvin, TX.
I have the Excelsior mini-lathe from Rockler and it works well for me. I think it's the same as the HF lathe you're considering.
These lathes are fine for pens and other small projects.
Definitely get a 2MT - either will work but there are more 2MT tools available
Ed

TimS124

The difference between 1MT and 2MT is the taper (they're simply different tapers). #2 Morse Taper is more common on larger lathes. So, if your small lathe has that, then accessories you buy for it will work when you move up to a bigger lathe.

Earlier this week, I snagged a Jet 1014VS off Craigslist near Sacramento for $325. It's a lot more lathe than what you're looking at without costing much more. Keep a look out - they show up from time to time. Make sure you know the street price for new before jumping on something that looks like a good price for used.

There are a couple of woodturning groups in the SF Bay Area. You might want to drop by one of their meetings so you can quickly get in-person answers from people that aren't trying to seek you something (vs. just what the shops tell you when they're trying to push what they carry). You might be able to find a deal on a used lathe through one of them as well...

TimS124

Depending on which part of the SF Bay Area you're in, there are some pen-turning classes available.

The Sawdust Shop in the South Bay offers an intro class and an followup (more advanced) class. The intro class says it's fine for people with no turning experience as well.

The Woodcraft in San Carlos and the one in Dublin both offer pen turning classes.

There may be other local opportunities as well for affordable, in-person, training.

Dannyg0811

Thanks for the help. A class is something I would really be interested in. I live in Fairfield and will start looking for a class in my area. Thanks again.

TimS124

Thanks for the help. A class is something I would really be interested in. I live in Fairfield and will start looking for a class in my area. Thanks again.

You might be closer to the Sacramento Woodcraft (which is actually in Folsom, on the far side of Sacramento from Fairfield). They have an intro pen class and at least one advanced class on their current calendar. Their class list is usually amazing - I took a 2 or 3 day carving class with Nora Hall at that Woodcraft years ago. The current president of the local woodturning club works at that store...

Top Bottom