Hello from Ontario, Canada!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

freshmaker

Hi folks, pleased to be here! I just started turning pens 3 months ago in August. I've loved pens and stationary things since being a kid, and I got back "into" fountain pens by way of a Kickstarter in 2013. I've been on my own journey like everyone here figuring out what kinds of pens I like, materials, nib grinds, ink, etc. I was exposed to the idea of custom pen makers by listening to podcasts like the Pen Addict, and always thought making a pen would be a fun thing to try, but it's tough to find the time with a bunch of young kids. The thing that put me over the edge was placing an order with a maker and going through the motions of sketching out some ideas, which made the whole thing very personal. So I finally took the plunge by picking up a wood lathe and watching a bunch of videos from RJBWoodTurner (thank you!!) which really helped me figure out all the different things I needed. Now I find myself wanting to be out in the shop every waking moment! I've been casting my own pen blanks too, getting the kids involved in picking colours, and they love it. I've made 10 or so pens so far, with the most recent ones being in my daily rotation. There's still so much to learn and I'm thankful to be able to join this community!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Hi folks, pleased to be here! I just started turning pens 3 months ago in August. I've loved pens and stationary things since being a kid, and I got back "into" fountain pens by way of a Kickstarter in 2013. I've been on my own journey like everyone here figuring out what kinds of pens I like, materials, nib grinds, ink, etc. I was exposed to the idea of custom pen makers by listening to podcasts like the Pen Addict, and always thought making a pen would be a fun thing to try, but it's tough to find the time with a bunch of young kids. The thing that put me over the edge was placing an order with a maker and going through the motions of sketching out some ideas, which made the whole thing very personal. So I finally took the plunge by picking up a wood lathe and watching a bunch of videos from RJBWoodTurner (thank you!!) which really helped me figure out all the different things I needed. Now I find myself wanting to be out in the shop every waking moment! I've been casting my own pen blanks too, getting the kids involved in picking colours, and they love it. I've made 10 or so pens so far, with the most recent ones being in my daily rotation. There's still so much to learn and I'm thankful to be able to join this community!
Welcome aboard Jay. I'm just up the road and open to questions anytime.
Please post some of your work, I'd love to see it.
I Hope you were able to get to Scriptus this year.

freshmaker

Welcome aboard Jay. I'm just up the road and open to questions anytime.
Please post some of your work, I'd love to see it.
I Hope you were able to get to Scriptus this year.
Hi Darrin! Yes, I made it to Scriptus this year, which was my very first time at a pen show! It was quite overwhelming, but a wonderful experience. In fact, I think I might have actually met you! You showed me one of the pens you made from a herringbone pattern you put together, which was one of the coolest things I've seen. I'm sure you talked with hundreds or more people so I wouldn't expect you to remember, but I really enjoyed our conversation!

I made this one over the weekend. It ended up being way thinner than I had intended, to the point where buffing with a cloth wheel caused enough heat to make the walls near the cap finial end soft and bend. I cast the material myself as well, which also didn't turn out the way I wanted - I used Alumilite Deep Pour, but the three different colours just all bled together, I think because the deep pour is so viscous. That's my theory anyway. I have a pressure pot on the way so I can try using the standard Alumilite Clear that so many people seem to like! I also cracked the blank trying to hammer it out of the 20mm pipe I bought from homedepot after it cured, so I took your advice from our chat and bought a silicone mold from PTownSubbie which is on the way!

Attachments

• B9C4B15A-EBB5-4732-9D6C-9F2AD5ECE5FF.jpeg
    B9C4B15A-EBB5-4732-9D6C-9F2AD5ECE5FF.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 50

darrin1200

I wish I could say I remember you exactly Jay, I talked to a couple of people about getting into pen making.
Its the short pot life, of clear slow, that lets us get the swirls in the casts. You'll like your Fred's molds. I am actually planning to order another vertical mold Shortly. He recommends using mold release to help with protecting the mold. I haven't used it yet, but am going to try it with my next pour. I have a can of Stoner.
For being your 10th pen, it is outstanding. I like the design. It's an interesting idea of extending the cap past the body threads.
If your pen, while buffing, is heating up to the point of getting soft, then you are pressing to hard.

If you want some good shop listening, try As The Pen Turns . It's also available on Apple Podcast. The early episodes cover a lot of discussion on the basics of turning pens. There is not a lot of Kit discussion, but they are not ignored.

freshmaker

Thanks Darrin! The only reason I was able to get anywhere close to what I've made so far is because of people like you and others in the community. I only recently started listening to as the pen turns (I'm on episode 10) which is another example of people being so awesome about sharing. I'm so thankful there's so much information out there, I can't imagine trying to do this 10 or 20 years ago!

Top Bottom