Hello from Niagara on the Lake!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatriciaMK

Hello everyone! I probably should have joined this forum months ago, but better late than never, right?

I'm what would probably be classified as an apprentice pen turner, although I have made approximately 50 pens to date. I started in February of this year, and to say I love turning is a massive understatement. I absolutely adore it!
A3DE2D32-64A7-4F7A-BE88-220C26F2A027.jpeg53C158A9-614C-49BB-ADAA-20EF56C6FEF9.jpeg

I'd love to share ideas and pens with you all, and hopefully glean wisdom at the same time! I am looking into how to engrave the metal parts of pens - this stems from a commission where my coworker wanted the date of her daughter's wedding engraved on any surface. While I could engrave the wood or acrylic, you will see from my current favourite pens that I prefer the barrel remains untouched by a one-sided pattern.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, Patricia.
You are never too late and never too old for here.
You are off to a great start.
Check the library if you havent already.
Alan

Hi Patricia and welcome ... just down the street from you :) .... as far as engraving metal parts .... 2 ways I can think of is with a Fiber Laser or using a product(s) like CerMark, Enduramark, and LaserBond .... a Fiber Laser will actually engrave the Metal whereas the products the you paint on the metal will leave dark colored mark .... hope this helps your question.

Take Care

Brian

Karl_99

Welcome from northcentral PA. Nice looking pens...you are off to a good start!

Visited Niagara-On-The-Lake several times during Boxing Day! Great place to visit.

Karl

PatriciaMK

Welcome Patricia! I love that first pen. What wood is it?

And I love your town!
0678311A-D454-40D8-BF55-4F6930151108.jpeg
The one on top is desert ironwood (one of my absolute FAV woods, every time I use it you just get oodles of character). The cap is DiamondCast in Orion and the tip is DiamondCast in silver/diamond. The one below was holly with purpleheart veneer slid in between. :)

PatriciaMK

Hi Patricia and welcome ... just down the street from you :) .... as far as engraving metal parts .... 2 ways I can think of is with a Fiber Laser or using a product(s) like CerMark, Enduramark, and LaserBond .... a Fiber Laser will actually engrave the Metal whereas the products the you paint on the metal will leave dark colored mark .... hope this helps your question.

Take Care

Brian
Ooh, that helps a lot, Brian! There are so many lasers on the market it's basically impossible to narrow it down, so your recommendations have put me on a very solid track. The good thing is my Dad (who's an electrical engineer/lawyer, though retired) is a born tinkerer, so I know there will be someone able to help me set up something like that.

R. C. Rutter

Hello everyone! I probably should have joined this forum months ago, but better late than never, right?

I'm what would probably be classified as an apprentice pen turner, although I have made approximately 50 pens to date. I started in February of this year, and to say I love turning is a massive understatement. I absolutely adore it!
View attachment 246179View attachment 246180

I'd love to share ideas and pens with you all, and hopefully glean wisdom at the same time! I am looking into how to engrave the metal parts of pens - this stems from a commission where my coworker wanted the date of her daughter's wedding engraved on any surface. While I could engrave the wood or acrylic, you will see from my current favourite pens that I prefer the barrel remains untouched by a one-sided pattern.
Welcome Patricia! Nicely done pens!
Be sure to check out the Library. Lots of friendly people and information on this site

Top Bottom