Hello from Missouri with Photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bigcountry7

I got the bug pretty bad a few months ago. I'd never turned before then my son made a pen for scouts. Now I've made over 70.

I've been a furniture maker for over 20 years. Heres some off the turning projects I've made...

20221120_142714.jpg

20221127_150923.jpg

20210815_185345.jpg

20221202_130314.jpg

20210816_124853.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Welcome aboard. Hope you continue down the road of pen turning and even step up to some better quality kits as you progress. I see a Dewalt scrollsaw in the shop. Just sold mine this summer along with a Hegner. Have 2 RBI saws left and they are my go to saws. That tablesaw looks brand new. Nice work on the desk. Hope to see more of your work. Good luck.

bigcountry7

Welcome aboard. Hope you continue down the road of pen turning and even step up to some better quality kits as you progress. I see a Dewalt scrollsaw in the shop. Just sold mine this summer along with a Hegner. Have 2 RBI saws left and they are my go to saws. That tablesaw looks brand new. Nice work on the desk. Hope to see more of your work. Good luck.
Here are some of the intermediate kits I've made. I actually think the slimline/trimline/comfort pens are harder to make. I also made a federal, vertex, pirate and executive pen that I gave away
16724979400632996493428730624927.jpg

Woodchipper

Very nice pens! The one with two different materials caught my eye. Have had a couple of blanks blow out for whatever reason. The wife says to use two different blank materials as synthetic, wood, or different synthetic patterns. No different than a quilt with different patterns of material pieces? BTW, my complements on the furniture. Is the chair from bent or formed plywood?

bigcountry7

Yeah, i upgraded my tablesaw, bench and jointer when we moved to a bigger shop 3 years ago. I dont use the scroll saw as much as I expected. I was planning to do a bunch of marquetry, but it just didn't happen.

This is what it looked like when we moved in (panorama)
20191111_095716.jpg

I recently tore down that wall with the window openings to make more room for my toys. I think I will tear the carpet out from that section today. I turned the knobs on my bench crafted vice between centers. It could be better.
20221108_171841.jpg

20220606_081627.jpg

bigcountry7

Very nice pens! The one with two different materials caught my eye. Have had a couple of blanks blow out for whatever reason. The wife says to use two different blank materials as synthetic, wood, or different synthetic patterns. No different than a quilt with different patterns of material pieces? BTW, my complements on the furniture. Is the chair from bent or formed plywood?
Yes, I really liked the black and white pen, and the curly Maple with a vibrant color top patterns. I bought a bulk scrap bag from woodcraft and there were a lot of halves in the bag that I turned, then I realized I really liked them.

Also yes, those chairs are laminated from 1/8" bendable birch plywood. I made them a long time ago when I was in design school. I used a vacuum press with a bending form. They use urea formaldehyde glue, which im not even sure you can buy anymore.

jttheclockman

Yeah, i upgraded my tablesaw, bench and jointer when we moved to a bigger shop 3 years ago. I dont use the scroll saw as much as I expected. I was planning to do a bunch of marquetry, but it just didn't happen.

This is what it looked like when we moved in (panorama) View attachment 345977

I recently tore down that wall with the window openings to make more room for my toys. I think I will tear the carpet out from that section today. I turned the knobs on my bench crafted vice between centers. It could be better.
View attachment 345978

View attachment 345979
I believe I can have some fun in that shop too. Good luck with all your hobbys and projects.

bigcountry7

I believe I can have some fun in that shop too. Good luck with all your hobbys and projects.
Yeah, right?! I keep picking up projects faster than I can finish them! I just bought the lathe on a whim to help make shop projects like chisel handles, and within a few months I've turned dozens of little projects, and upgraded my $100 used craftsman to a new jet midi lathe.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome to IAP. With an engineering background and loving woodworking - this will go far in pen making. Great looking pens and wood work too. I am envious of your shop also!

In what part of MO are you? I make it to St Louis on occasion and Springfield often (have a daughter there). OH and I make it to KC when my daughter takes me - for steak and BBQ!

bigcountry7

Welcome to IAP. With an engineering background and loving woodworking - this will go far in pen making. Great looking pens and wood work too. I am envious of your shop also!

In what part of MO are you? I make it to St Louis on occasion and Springfield often (have a daughter there). OH and I make it to KC when my daughter takes me - for steak and

Yeah, I'm a typical engineer...I build stuff in my spare time, and I married a nurse.

I'm in st Peters, MO. It's just across the Missouri river from st louis.

Top Bottom