Hello from Melbourne, Australia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jindivik

Hi folks,

New member and relatively new turner from down under here.

I have been turning since the start of this year when I got myself a second hand Jet 1236 as a way to try and clear some of the mental congestion that has been building up.

I didn't plan to get into making pens, I was more interested in learning to do bowls and hollow forms. But once I saw what people were doing with pens and blanks I was amazed.

I'm really enjoying being able to make things that people are able to use and am looking forward to learning new techniques and seeing what everyone is else is creating.

All the best,

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum Chris.
I lived in NSW for 12 years and spent some time down the Mornington Penisula
Ask plenty of questions and you will learn plenty and make friends into the bargain
Keep on turning
Alan

MPVic

Hi folks,

New member and relatively new turner from down under here.

I have been turning since the start of this year when I got myself a second hand Jet 1236 as a way to try and clear some of the mental congestion that has been building up.

I didn't plan to get into making pens, I was more interested in learning to do bowls and hollow forms. But once I saw what people were doing with pens and blanks I was amazed.

I'm really enjoying being able to make things that people are able to use and am looking forward to learning new techniques and seeing what everyone is else is creating.

All the best,

Chris

Wood turning is an awesome therapy - good luck and WELCOME!

Ironwood

Welcome to the forum Chris.
There are quite a few Aussies on the IAP, great place to learn and get inspiration.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, you will get plenty of help here.

magpens

Hi Chris !! . Welcome to IAP !!

I lived/worked in Adelaide for 12 yrs. . It's always great to renew contact with the great land of Oz !!

One nice thing about making a pen is that you can do it in a relatively short time, and people always appreciate a pretty pen as a gift.
Another nice thing is that you never run out of new things to try: making different kits, making full-custom, different blanks, segmenting of different sorts.

Australian woods are absolutely the best for making pens and there is such a variety ... was working with some brown mallee burl this morning !

robutacion

I bought a few blanks from you a couple of weeks ago George. Got some Wattle and a few others.

Sorry mate, I had no idea but yes, you are correct, you did indeed ordered some blanks from me on the 10 May 2019 so thank you for that...!

We here like to see pics of the pens made, regardless of where you got your supplies from, we have an old saying, "no pics, didn't happen...!":)

Cheers
George

Jindivik

That's only fair George.

These are some of the first pens I made. The fountain pen on the right is from some 150 year old Olive wood from South Australia, the two hybrid Sierras are Red Mallee Burl, the middle Sierra is Silky Oak and the pen across the back is a piece of Cherry from the Yarra Valley near my home.

54799019_809843729371775_4611321229675069440_n.jpg

robutacion

I wonder where that Olivewood come from in SA, some of the first Olive trees I cut and made available for sale are about that age something that is rare to see/find.

So you are also playing with resin, huh...? very interesting colours and that gloss finish is mint. đź‘Ť

Keep them coming,

Cheers
George

Jindivik

I wonder where that Olivewood come from in SA, some of the first Olive trees I cut and made available for sale are about that age something that is rare to see/find.

So you are also playing with resin, huh...? very interesting colours and that gloss finish is mint. [emoji106]

Keep them coming,

Cheers
George

I got the olive from eBay. Was advertised as being from one of the original olive trees that Samual Davenport planted.

I wish I could say the hybrid blank was one of my own, but that one is one of Geoff Burrows beautiful blanks. Both pens were made from the one blank, I kept the chrome one and my daughter took the black one.

robutacion

I got the olive from eBay. Was advertised as being from one of the original olive trees that Samual Davenport planted.

I wish I could say the hybrid blank was one of my own, but that one is one of Geoff Burrows beautiful blanks. Both pens were made from the one blank, I kept the chrome one and my daughter took the black one.

Yeah, from your information I was able to establish the property where he planted the Olive trees/Olive Grove and that was in Beaumont, South Australia in about 1846.

Beaumont is about 70km from me and about 40km from where I cut the last 9 oldest Olive trees of that area planted but some of our earliest Settlers to this region in the 1850/60's

As for the hybrids, if you want to get involved with casting your own blanks, apart from me you have dozens of blokes in here that will be more than happy to guide you through the process and in no time you will be making pens from your own castings.

You may find that one of the most difficult aspects of making hybrids/castings or Resifills as I call them is actually to find the right bits of wood/burl to make the castings with, if that ever become a problem to you, I have kilos and kilos of many different burl species that have already been cut for pen blank casting, I have sold some here but I haven't yet put/listed them on my web-store, and I think it may be time for me to do it so that others can also find them for their castings.

We learn something every day...!

Cheers
George

Jindivik

Yeah, from your information I was able to establish the property where he planted the Olive trees/Olive Grove and that was in Beaumont, South Australia in about 1846.

Beaumont is about 70km from me and about 40km from where I cut the last 9 oldest Olive trees of that area planted but some of our earliest Settlers to this region in the 1850/60's

As for the hybrids, if you want to get involved with casting your own blanks, apart from me you have dozens of blokes in here that will be more than happy to guide you through the process and in no time you will be making pens from your own castings.

You may find that one of the most difficult aspects of making hybrids/castings or Resifills as I call them is actually to find the right bits of wood/burl to make the castings with, if that ever become a problem to you, I have kilos and kilos of many different burl species that have already been cut for pen blank casting, I have sold some here but I haven't yet put/listed them on my web-store, and I think it may be time for me to do it so that others can also find them for their castings.

We learn something every day...!

Cheers
George

I would definitely be interested in some burl for casting.

I need to get some apple wood too, have been tasked to make some pens for my sons teacher and classroom aid.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom