Hello from Maryland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karday

Good Morning to all. I am new to IAP and sorta new to pen turning. Sorta because I have made about a dozen or so so far. Not new to wood working as such but never owned a lathe. I borrowed a friends Carba-Tec which is likely the first one sold by Penn State. Very small but amazing functional for these small items. My late mentor did a lot of turning on Wegner and Delta lathes. I am considering a Delta midi I see around online and from Home Depot online. Variable speed is definitely a must for pens in my opinion. I am already trying suggestions from here on why the CA finish is crazing on my pens. (likely operator error) I am a DAV from Viet Nam and I am now a retired engineer do have some time to piddle with these things. Enjoy the challenge and like to keep my brain working to ward off the "old timers" syndrome.

Dave Clink:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas & thanks for your service.

VS is definitely not needed for pen turning. I do all my turning, sanding & finishing (even CA) at the highest speed setting on my 5-speed mini lathe. It is very handy though if you do your drilling on the lathe. I happen to have a good floor mount drill press, so I rarely drill anything on the lathe.

VS is certainly convenient though & definitely helpful for larger projects like bowls & such. I would definitely recommend it for midi and full size lathes, but IMHO, it's an unnecessary expense & complication for mini lathes, but that's just my opinion - many others feel differently & that's ok too. :)

Happy turning & be sure to post some photos of your work.

Sappheiros

Welcome from Chicago, Dave! :) I just got started with turning recently and I have the Delta midi (46-460) lathe and I have been loving it. No complains! Can't wait to see what you make.

rockb

Good to see you Dave.....lots of great guys here with amazing knowledge....good wood to be found too.
Rocky

Top Bottom