Hello from Louisiana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Anthony

Hello everyone. I'm a little new at turning pens with only a year or so under my belt. I have turned acrylic, poly acrylic, different woods, and deer antler. I have recently purchased supplies to start making my own blanks, but I have yet to start one. I've been investigating the process and different blank options. Has anyone worked with poly acrylic before? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NJturner

Hi Anthony - welcome from NJ.....

Not totally sure of your question, but I will take a stab. If you are going to try casting, like lots of us here, most people use a few brands of resin including Alumilite Slow, Total Boat, or a number of others. These are typically different than the acrylic blanks you buy from Woodcraft, PSI, or others in that they are different to turn - usually less prone to chipping. Casting requires a new set of tools, like scales, thermometers, and pressure pots. However, for me, it's just another part in the creative process of building a truly custom writing instrument.

Not sure what Poly Acrylic is other than a finish from Minwax, but hope you gain lots of info from the many great minds on these forums!

Anthony

Hi Anthony - welcome from NJ.....

Not totally sure of your question, but I will take a stab. If you are going to try casting, like lots of us here, most people use a few brands of resin including Alumilite Slow, Total Boat, or a number of others. These are typically different than the acrylic blanks you buy from Woodcraft, PSI, or others in that they are different to turn - usually less prone to chipping. Casting requires a new set of tools, like scales, thermometers, and pressure pots. However, for me, it's just another part in the creative process of building a truly custom writing instrument.

Not sure what Poly Acrylic is other than a finish from Minwax, but hope you gain lots of info from the many great minds on these forums!
Thank you for the information. I may not be calling the Poly Acrylic by it's real name. There is a resin mix of some sort with fibers in it, and drops are added to activate the hardening process.

howsitwork

Evening Anthony

that sounds like a glass fibre type resin to me ? the fibres reinforce it and should make the result more stable to turn, I think .

NJturner

Thank you for the information. I may not be calling the Poly Acrylic by it's real name. There is a resin mix of some sort with fibers in it, and drops are added to activate the hardening process.
All epoxy resins use a two part process to work- the resin and the hardener. The ratios of hardener and resin vary by product - some by weight, some by volume. That is why you usually need a scale or an accurate measuring device.
Lots of applications use a fiber element for strengthening or adding rigidity to the finished product - think boat hulls, car fenders, etc. Usually, with pen blanks, the addition of fibers or other materials to the casting is for decorative purposes, not for strength.
Alumilite Clear Slow, Total Boat, and a number of other casting products can be used to make some sweet looking, strong blanks. Have fun.

Oh, and by the way - not sure where you are in Louisiana, but I know there are a couple good turning clubs in the state - one of them being the Southern Bayou Woodturners which is a sister AAW club of my turning club in central NJ. Might be a great place to meet some other turners!

Last edited:

Anthony

All epoxy resins use a two part process to work- the resin and the hardener. The ratios of hardener and resin vary by product - some by weight, some by volume. That is why you usually need a scale or an accurate measuring device.
Lots of applications use a fiber element for strengthening or adding rigidity to the finished product - think boat hulls, car fenders, etc. Usually, with pen blanks, the addition of fibers or other materials to the casting is for decorative purposes, not for strength.
Alumilite Clear Slow, Total Boat, and a number of other casting products can be used to make some sweet looking, strong blanks. Have fun.

Oh, and by the way - not sure where you are in Louisiana, but I know there are a couple good turning clubs in the state - one of them being the Southern Bayou Woodturners which is a sister AAW club of my turning club in central NJ. Might be a great place to meet some other turners!
Thank you for the information. I will look the pen turning group up here in my state too.

bmac

Hello Anthony, welcome to the IAP, a great place with a wealth of knowledge about pen turning. I'm also a member of the Southern Bayou Woodturners and our club has a number of very talented pen turners, myself included. Normally our club met the second Saturday of each month, but since covid hit we have not been able to have in person meetings. We are doing Zoom meetings until we get the OK to have in person meetings. Not sure where you are located, but if you message me, I can connect you with someone near you. I have also cast my own pen blanks using acrylic resin, mostly Liquid Diamonds, but have also used other brands.

Bobby
Louisiana

Top Bottom