Hello from Lethbridge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dueyvan

Hi all
I'm new at this. I've never turned a pen in my life but got a lathe for Christmas because my wife heard me talk about turning pens often enough. First pen kits showed up today but still waiting for a chuck for the lathe. I've already learned lots from these forums and looking forward to more. For now, all I've made yet is this sock darning egg for my wife
F3092690-F017-404C-80E7-852CAFCEEE46.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

As soon as I saw your turning I knew what it was - because I am of an age where darning eggs were common in a sewing kit. As I am often curious as to word origins the question arose "Where did the term 'darning' come from? Well, according to a dictionary, it comes from the French darner - to mend. So, when you get a hole in your wool socks you immediately have to say 'Darn it!' which is both an exclamation and a command.

Nice darning egg, BTW.

Dueyvan

As soon as I saw your turning I knew what it was - because I am of an age where darning eggs were common in a sewing kit. As I am often curious as to word origins the question arose "Where did the term 'darning' come from? Well, according to a dictionary, it comes from the French darner - to mend. So, when you get a hole in your wool socks you immediately have to say 'Darn it!' which is both an exclamation and a command.

Nice darning egg, BTW.

My wife said to me one morning after I had started to play with my lathe that she'd been dreaming about something she wanted my to make. Then described this. She was a little surprised when I handed her this a couple hours later. This one is cedar which I think is too soft to finish well, but maybe I'm too much of a rookie. She wanted cedar for the moth repelling effects

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dueyvan

Welcome from Katy, TX. My daughter and her family live next door in Raymond. You can turn pens without a chuck, just turn between centers after you glue in the tube.

Danny

Yup. But I need the chuck to drill as I don't have a drill press. Plus I want to experiment on a couple things before I do my first pen.

I go through Raymond regularly for work and my wife lived in magrath till we got married in 2019

Top Bottom