Hello from Lake Charles, Louisiana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DBMyers

Hello everyone,
I like to start by saying that I enjoy and appreciate this forum and have learned a lot about the art of pen turning from it.
I guess like most penturners I started using fiction polish for finishing and soon learn that fiction polish wasn't the finish that I wanted on my pens, so now I'm working on developing a CA technique and discovered that apparently I have a severe reaction to CA (congestion, coughing, wheezing and sneezing) that starts generally the night of exposure and last 4-6 days. Just a little back ground when I suspected that CA was causing me the problem, I purchased a 1260cfm dust collector that delivers a pretty good capture velocity with the dust hood right behind the lathe and the collector is about thirty feet away (I love my DC but don't lay down your sand paper or paper towel on the lathe if you're not finished with it). Anyway I don't smell the CA now but, I still have the reaction to it, I even started using a respirator for organic vapors no change (I might be taking it off to soon). All that just to ask this, I've been reading about Odorless CA, and was wondering if anyone else that has a reaction to CA tried it with any luck?
Thanks,
Dave
Hope I didn't upset anybody with my first post being a question.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Welcome to the IAP, never tried the odourless CA myself (this may help explain the loss of head hair and teeth falling out and a constant drip at the end of my nose). :hypnotized::bulgy-eyes:

Pioneerpens

Welcome from WV! I have not tried the odorless ca....I am ok with the regular but if I use the blo with it~I have a terrible reaction....feels like i've poured the ca into my lungs and are glued shut! lasts about a week...I still try not to beathe too much of the ca just to be on the safe side...Are you using the blo with yours? try it without if you are and see if that helps.

DBMyers

Hi Jennifer,
Yes I do use BLO, but I haven't used it every single time. It doesn't seem to make any difference in my case. I'm currently waiting on supplies to try a CA process that I've received from Eric Anderson, if I can get it applied correctly it should reduce my exposure time to 10-15 minutes. That alone with the DC and respirator should take care of my problem (I'm hoping anyway).

Thanks All for the welcome, I better get back to what pays the bills, WORK.

Dave

sdemars

I can't believe . .

Hello everyone,
I like to start by saying that I enjoy and appreciate this forum and have learned a lot about the art of pen turning from it.
I guess like most penturners I started using fiction polish for finishing and soon learn that fiction polish wasn't the finish that I wanted on my pens, so now I'm working on developing a CA technique and discovered that apparently I have a severe reaction to CA (congestion, coughing, wheezing and sneezing) that starts generally the night of exposure and last 4-6 days. Just a little back ground when I suspected that CA was causing me the problem, I purchased a 1260cfm dust collector that delivers a pretty good capture velocity with the dust hood right behind the lathe and the collector is about thirty feet away (I love my DC but don't lay down your sand paper or paper towel on the lathe if you're not finished with it). Anyway I don't smell the CA now but, I still have the reaction to it, I even started using a respirator for organic vapors no change (I might be taking it off to soon). All that just to ask this, I've been reading about Odorless CA, and was wondering if anyone else that has a reaction to CA tried it with any luck?
Thanks,
Dave
Hope I didn't upset anybody with my first post being a question.

I can't believe anyone who has succeeded in living Louisiana for more than a year would have trouble breathing in ANY environment . . . I live 10 miles south of Baton Rouge, LA . . . lol lol lol lol :)

Tony's Pens

So what if you enjoy smelling CA glue and when you get through turning your pens for the evening you feel better than when you started. Would this be an illegal use of drugs?
Wow just thinking about it makes me want to go out to my shop and open up a bottle of CA. Yea Baby

Oh yea, welcome Dave

Last edited:

Rangertrek

Welcome Dave from Bossier City.
I also use a dust collector to draw away the fumes. You might try adding a small fan behind you to blow toward the dust intake. I also use a trend air shield for some turning, this unit has a fan system and blows air out of the mask section.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome David.

Reactions to CA can be a drawback to a good pen finish. But there are other ways to finish pens without using CA. Why don't you post a question in the "Penturning" Forum? Maybe you'll get some more feedback.

This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

If you need anymore info, there are many here ready to answer your questions. Just post in the appropriate forum. Don't forget the great resources we have available through the Library and the Wiki links on the top of the home page.

DBMyers

Trend air shield

Hi John
The trend air face shield looks interesting, I might see about getting one of those, thanks.

Top Bottom