Hello from Iowa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

m575

Thanks for allowing me to join. This seems like a great community and forum.

I am just beginning to explore this fine hobby and art form. I'm reading and watching everything I can and I'm pretty sure I am going to jump in, but I have to get some equipment first. I have never turned anything before. I think my strategy may be to go inexpensive for a lathe to see if I like it. Then if I do enjoy it, I'll buy something much better. This way I'll know more what I really want in a machine and won't short myself in the long run.

I look forward to learning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Welcome to the forum. I understand your thought process about starting out with cheaper tools. The problem with that though is the fact that lots of frustration can arise from trying to use a tool that is not capable of doing precise work. That frustration can lead to abandoning pen turning altogether. This is by no means a cheap hobby to get into, but once you have the main tools, it is not that bad. You can take it in multiple directions, plain wood barrels, acrylics, segmenting, casting, stabilizing, kitless etc. Every avenue you go down requires very specific tooling, and none of it is what you might call cheap. Not trying to scare you off. I hope you stay and find this hobby as rewarding as I'm sure, most of us do.

m575

Welcome to the forum. I understand your thought process about starting out with cheaper tools. The problem with that though is the fact that lots of frustration can arise from trying to use a tool that is not capable of doing precise work. That frustration can lead to abandoning pen turning altogether. This is by no means a cheap hobby to get into, but once you have the main tools, it is not that bad. You can take it in multiple directions, plain wood barrels, acrylics, segmenting, casting, stabilizing, kitless etc. Every avenue you go down requires very specific tooling, and none of it is what you might call cheap. Not trying to scare you off. I hope you stay and find this hobby as rewarding as I'm sure, most of us do.
Thanks Ken - this is food for thought.

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, Jeff.
I agree with Ken. Don't buy cheap. Find some local turners and pick their brains. You may get a free lesson or two and plenty of good advice on lathes.

Alan

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP Community. I suggest you look up the Des Moines Woodturners club. I also think the Woodsmith Store in Clive carries pen turning kits and supplies. - Regards, Dave

Thanks for allowing me to join. This seems like a great community and forum.

I am just beginning to explore this fine hobby and art form. I'm reading and watching everything I can and I'm pretty sure I am going to jump in, but I have to get some equipment first. I have never turned anything before. I think my strategy may be to go inexpensive for a lathe to see if I like it. Then if I do enjoy it, I'll buy something much better. This way I'll know more what I really want in a machine and won't short myself in the long run.

I look forward to learning.
I agree with others,join a woodturning group, get advice and get familiar with lathes,tooling and processes before buying your own.

m575

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP Community. I suggest you look up the Des Moines Woodturners club. I also think the Woodsmith Store in Clive carries pen turning kits and supplies. - Regards, Dave

Thanks Dave. I'm originally from Nebraska, had some friends from Columbus back in the day, its a good place.

Hey Jeff, welcome from Montana. We're missing our snow this year. Should have at least 6' of the white stuff on the road but probably no more than 11". Going to be a bad fire year for sure. But plowing has been great!!!

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Hello and Welcome to our home. We have many ideas and Downloadable PDF tutorials for your review.

Here's an Introductory Document for Reference.

Complete List of Forums

Menu of all IAP Library Articles, References, Tips, Tutorials

Pen Kit Suppliers - World Wide

Which Pen Suppliers do you Purchase from? (Poll)

Have Fun!

Top Bottom