Hello from Guernsey.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Derrickt

Hello, glad to join the forum. Guernsey is a small island about 40 km west of the Cotentin peninsula (Normandy) and is part of the British Channel Islands archipelago.

I have been turning for just over a year and accidentally bought my first lathe in April '20 during our first Covid lockdown. I have been attempting all sorts of work but find pens fun to make.

First results were disappointing, being horribly eccentric due to a poor mandrel shaft which, from new, before applying any tail stock pressure, deviated 3mm from true on hand rotation. A new mandrel from Axminster Tools in the UK fixed the problem completely. That's one-nil to experience.

I'm only turning wood at the moment although acrylics and other materials look interesting for when I make my own points, bands and end caps.

I've learnt a great deal from tips published by people such as Kurt Hertzog, I'm hoping to learn a lot more from this association.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, Derrick.
I lived in Guernsey for 5 or 6 years in the 1970's and knew it well, though now a fading memory.
Enjoy your hobby. you will learn plenty here and make some long distance friends.
Alan

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Guernsey is one of our favourite places. I have worked there many times and my wife and I have spent several holidays there. As soon as lockdown is over, we will be back. Great in the summertime and not too many tourists.
Do you remember several years ago when the power and fibre link cable was laid.? There was a chief engineer from the power station, I think his name was Bill Blacklaw or similar, anyway during commissioning of the power upgrade at Barkers Quarry 33kV sub , he managed to lose power to the entire island a couple of times. He got the nickname of Billy Blackout after that. Really nice guy but passed away a few years later.
Welcome to IAP....😉

MPVic

Welcome Derrick! Acquiring your new lathe to enjoy this fabulous art form is at least one "silver lining" to the pandemic. Hope you get much satisfaction & enjoy the camaraderie here at IAP.

Derrickt

accidently? did it fall in the back of your garage?
No, I accidentally bought it on-line. I don't remember what happened. I was browsing and must have blacked-out. The next thing I knew, I got an order confirmation email and the lathe arrived the next day.

I told the Fat Controller that it was probably due to a Covid attack in the hope that she would make me a cup of tea but it didn't work.

howsitwork

No, I accidentally bought it on-line. I don't remember what happened. I was browsing and must have blacked-out. The next thing I knew, I got an order confirmation email and the lathe arrived the next day.

I told the Fat Controller that it was probably due to a Covid attack in the hope that she would make me a cup of tea but it didn't work.
Derrick

major tactical error !🤦‍♂️

Always have things like that delivered to either work or a good friends house. You then have " plausible deniability" as does the friend who accepted it " in case you were out " so his wife , and yours , are happy as they weren't "inconvenienced by having to wait in " and the friends wife has proof it's not for him so he gets out of gaol for free too.

You'll learn....🤫

Derrickt

Derrick

major tactical error !🤦‍♂️

Always have things like that delivered to either work or a good friends house. You then have " plausible deniability" as does the friend who accepted it " in case you were out " so his wife , and yours , are happy as they weren't "inconvenienced by having to wait in " and the friends wife has proof it's not for him so he gets out of gaol for free too.

You'll learn....🤫
Still learning. "My Amazon account must have been hacked" no longer works.

Tecumseh 82

Welcome. I am new to the family also. So much to look at and so little time in one day. I'm sure we will both learn more than most have forgotten here.

howsitwork

Still learning. "My Amazon account must have been hacked" no longer works.
could try asking them to put " free trial pack " slips in but I really like this technique from the USA 7432822D-90AC-464C-8236-F9EF2DE75DBD.png

Top Bottom