Hello from Georgia (the state)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Velcrodog

Saw this website and after looking thru if for a couple of hours was very impressed with it and the participants. I'm very new to turning and want to start slowly learning pens. I got a great deal on a Nova lathe and some tools but is about it. I'm not sure what all I need to begin. I only have the lathe but not any bits, chucks etc. I was thinking about getting a mini lathe just for pens.
Sorry for the rambling! Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hi Barry ! ! . Warm welcome to IAP ! ! . :D

So . . . are you thinking of buying another lathe besides the Nova ?
Maybe wait till you have done a few pens on the Nova, and have talked to quite a few folks here.
You are going to need a few things . . try to chose those so they can probably be used on "the other" lathe as well.
I would think that a carbide-tipped cutting tool should be one of your first acquisitions. . . Oh, I see that you already have some tools. . . Are they carbide ?

Get some opinions. . There are plenty of folks here to offer advice.

Check out Youtube for some videos on how to get started turning pens.

Get familiar with a couple of vendor websites . . . ExoticBlanks . com is highly recommended . . . . also . . Woodturningz . com . . . and . . BearToothWoods . com

For beginning pen kits I'd recommend :

Many folks recommend slimline pen kits for starters, but for me the Diamond Knurl is preferable because you get a higher "wow factor" and quicker.

Velcrodog

Maybe wait till you have done a few pens on the Nova, and have talked to quite a few folks here.
You are going to need a few things . . try to chose those so they can probably be used on "the other" lathe as well.
I would think that a carbide-tipped cutting tool should be one of your first acquisitions. . . Oh, I see that you already have some tools. . . Are they carbide ?

Get familiar with a couple of vendor websites . . . ExoticBlanks . com is highly recommended . . . . also . . Woodturningz . com . . . and . . BearToothWoods . com

Many folks recommend slimline pen kits for starters, but for me the Diamond Knurl is preferable because you get a higher "wow factor" and quicker.
Thanks for the advice. The lathe is a Nova 7000. I think. It is huge and heavy! The tools are pretty old but might be one or two might be carbide. The lady I bought them from lives out of state and has more stuff. Her husband passed away and she just wants to get rid of it. Since I wanted to start, and due to space in my vehicle, I just got the lathe and tools. She said she would keep the rest of the stuff for when I can get back. Very sweet and nice person. I will probably buy everything she wants to sell me even if I don't know what to do with it.

Gary Beasley

Thanks for the advice. The lathe is a Nova 7000. I think. It is huge and heavy! The tools are pretty old but might be one or two might be carbide. The lady I bought them from lives out of state and has more stuff. Her husband passed away and she just wants to get rid of it. Since I wanted to start, and due to space in my vehicle, I just got the lathe and tools. She said she would keep the rest of the stuff for when I can get back. Very sweet and nice person. I will probably buy everything she wants to sell me even if I don't know what to do with it.
The Nova will do just fine for pens if you have room in the shop for it. Cant find any reference to a Nova 7000 though. A picture of the lathe would be nice. Joining a local woodturning group would be good way to learn more, there are several in the area. The one I'm in, Etowah River Woodturners, meets at the Senior Center in Canton first Thursday of the month at 6:30.

Velcrodog

Thanks for the advice. The lathe is a Nova 7000. I think. It is huge and heavy! The tools are pretty old but might be one or two might be carbide. The lady I bought them from lives out of state and has more stuff. Her husband passed away and she just wants to get rid of it. Since I wanted to start, and due to space in my vehicle, I just got the lathe and tools. She said she would keep the rest of the stuff for when I can get back. Very sweet and nice person. I will probably buy everything she wants to sell me even if I don't know what to do with itj
The Nova will do just fine for pens if you have room in the shop for it. Cant find any reference to a Nova 7000 though. A picture of the lathe would be nice. Joining a local woodturning group would be good way to learn more, there are several in the area. The one I'm in, Etowah River Woodturners, meets at the Senior Center in Canton first Thursday of the month at 6:30.
It is a 3000. Looks like it has a 1.5 or 2.0 hp aftermarket motor. She wanted 100.00 for it but I gave her 150.00 as I thought the 100 was too low.Friend of mine had it checked out and said it worked like new with a high torque. It is a 220, so I had electrician put a 220 in my basement.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP Community. I think you got a bargain. I have seen Nova 3000's sell in the $700-$1000 range depending on whether or not it had the variable speed option and the other accessories. I would guess that the "rest of the stuff" will include some chucks, faceplates, or mandrels depending on the type of turning that her husband did. Good luck and I hope to see some of your work after you get everything all set up and going. - Dave

Curly

I use an older Nova 3000 for pens through bowls. It is a great machine and you got it for an extremely good price. You don't need the mini or midi sized lathe unless it falls in your lap and you like lots of tools. Who doesn't?

Oh and welcome.

Woodchipper

Welcome. Used to live in the Atlanta area in the mid 60s. If I had bought 100 acres anywhere within 50 miles of downtown Atlanta, I could have retired years ago.

jrista

Welcome from Colorado!

Sounds like you have a great lathe to turn pens on. Size of the lathe doesn't matter...you should be able to turn pens on anything from a mini up through a full-sized 24" swing/42" long lathe.

Instead of buying a smaller lathe, put that money towards a chuck, some appropriate jaws (pen vise jaws ideally), and either a pen mandrel...or IMO better: turn between centers. For that, you just need a 60 degree dead center and a 60 degree live center, then just buy "TBC" bushings for you pens, rather than the normal bushings. It is possible to turn on a mandrel, but there are many complications that can arise there. There are some very high end, high quality mandrels that can eliminate most/all of these issues, but you will pay a good penny for one. TBC is generally what most skilled turners here recommend, and it is not that expensive to get going (you may already have a 60 degree live center with the lathe, so you might only need a 60 degree dead center, which shouldn't cost much more than $10-15 or so.)

I started turning pens "for real" the beginning of summer last year. I'd done some slimlines the year before, but I didn't REALLY get into pens until about 8-9 months ago. I started with a basic mandrel that came with a Rockler slimline starter kit. The shaft had a curve to it, and that always seemed to cause some problems. Bought a higher end mandrel from PSI, and that, too, had a slight curve...and it didn't seem to fit the point of my live center as well, and seemed to have even worse problems at the tailstock end (could never get my pens to turn down to the bushing properly, due to vibrations). I then bought the PSI TBC "mandrel" set, which is a dead and live center with a small mandrel shaft on each. This eliminates the shaft going all the way through the pen blank, but the live center does not seem to have a quality bearing, and I still had some problems with the tailstock end bushing vibrating, which limited how closely I could turn (and my turned blanks were either out of round or non-concentric...two of the more common problems with pen blank turning).

I moved to doing just TBC on the recommendation of many pen makers here. Best thing I've done for the craft. Turning directly between centers eliminates almost all of the vibration issues I've had before. I originally started just putting the bushings I had for the pen kits I was making between centers. After a few months, a small groove started appearing on both my dead and live centers. I have started doing two things. Either drilling with a 60 degree chamfering bit a chamfered edge on all of my normal bushings, so that instead of a hard 90 degree angle biting into the dead & live centers, there is a 60 degree surface that simply "sits" on the centers. Alternatively, I'm starting to buy, from the tbcbushings.com site I linked above, the appropriate TBC bushings for the pens I am turning. These TBC bushings are already designed with a 60 degree chamfer in them, and they are also designed with a more solid extension that goes into the brass pen tube. The 60 degree chamfered edge on the bushings is very important when doing TBC pen turning.

Anyway...TBC with the right bushing design...and you should avoid all the potential problems with mandrels (unless you opt to just get one of the high end mandrels right out of the gate, which is also an option). Some people have the philosophy of starting out with crappier tools, learning from mistake, and eventually progressing to better tools. I used to think that way, but having done things both ways a number of times now, I'm rather staunchly of the philosophy that you should just buy the right tools for the job, and avoid all the hassles. ;) Its more pleasant, and you should be able to more quickly get good quality results, and do so more consistently. The only thing you can really learn from using the wrong tools, letter tools, or insufficient tools, is that you should have started with the right tools in the first place!! :p

Curly

I forgot to mention that the Nova 3000 has a tailstock shaft travel of about 4". Really nice for drilling through all but the longest blanks in one setting without having to move the tailstock. You'll never get that with any smaller lathe and all but the biggest drill presses.

Thanks for the advice. The lathe is a Nova 7000. I think. It is huge and heavy! The tools are pretty old but might be one or two might be carbide. The lady I bought them from lives out of state and has more stuff. Her husband passed away and she just wants to get rid of it. Since I wanted to start, and due to space in my vehicle, I just got the lathe and tools. She said she would keep the rest of the stuff for when I can get back. Very sweet and nice person. I will probably buy everything she wants to sell me even if I don't know what to do with itj

It is a 3000. Looks like it has a 1.5 or 2.0 hp aftermarket motor. She wanted 100.00 for it but I gave her 150.00 as I thought the 100 was too low.Friend of mine had it checked out and said it worked like new with a high torque. It is a 220, so I had electrician put a 220 in my basement.
Welcome.
I a Nova 3000,you definitely got a bargain.Save your money,you can turn pens very well on a 300,a 4 inch tool rest would make it a bit easier.
Converting to a variable speed drive would be worthwhile.
Before turning pens it would be very useful for you to become familiar with using some of the tools,namely a skew and some gouges,and just do some spindle turning as that's what pen turning in it's basic form.
is.
It would also be very useful for you have a grinder with a cbn wheel on it.
Also join a local wood turners group.
Haven't mentioned any pen turning equipment yet....

Curly

The Amazon link doesn't open for me.
Teknatool, the maker of Nova lathes, has the manual you can download or print for free. Mine was from the early 90's and has a slightly different motor mounting setup but otherwise is the same machine.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Hello and Welcome to our home. We have many ideas and Downloadable PDF tutorials for your review.

Here's an Introductory Document for Reference.

Complete List of Forums

Menu of all IAP Library Articles, References, Tips, Tutorials

Pen Kit Suppliers - World Wide

Which Pen Suppliers do you Purchase from? (Poll)

Have Fun!

Top Bottom