Hello from Fairfax, Virginia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

Thanks for letting me introduce myself. I've been turning pens for about 5 years as a low-key hobby. After a day at the office, turning a couple of pens has become my "go-to" way to relax. I've gotten into the habit of placing an annual bulk order of silver slimline kits; buying a few large boards and then turning them out pretty fast. My priorities are that of a hobbyist: keeping it safe and fun; experimenting creatively; constantly refining my process; and gifting hand-made pens to friends and co-workers.

I look forward to poking around this site for inspiration and advice.
Thanks to everyone who shares their time and talents for the benefit of others.

- Cullen

To date I have used slimline kits exclusively without getting tired of them. The only thing which got on my nerves was the silver center band. I typically turn new ones from scrap wood. Has anyone found interesting and wallet-friendly substitutes for the bands?

IMG_3663.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome! Great looking pens! I started with slim line kits as well but I started wanting to get to cigar pens. I'm excited to see more of your work.

howsitwork

Welcome, some nice variations on a theme there.

Try missing the thing out entirely and make the barrel bit longer ?

Charlie_W

Welcome from Sterling neighbor!
Nice batch of pens!

You are right in the middle between Capital Area Woodturners in Alexandria and Catoctin Area Turners in Leesburg. Both clubs are meeting virtually now with monthly demonstrations via Zoom. When things get back to normal, we meet in person and have skill enhancement training sessions as well as workshops with professional Turners. Check us out online!

TDahl

Welcome from California. I love your pens. Great segmenting and contours. As far as the substitute for the metal bands I like what you have created and would recommend not changing. Those are stunning pens.

Wmcullen

Welcome from Sterling neighbor!
Nice batch of pens!

You are right in the middle between Capital Area Woodturners in Alexandria and Catoctin Area Turners in Leesburg. Both clubs are meeting virtually now with monthly demonstrations via Zoom. When things get back to normal, we meet in person and have skill enhancement training sessions as well as workshops with professional Turners. Check us out online!
I've been circling these clubs for a while but haven't yet taken a hard look. Thanks for the invitation, Charlie. I appreciate it!

walshjp17

Welcome aboard. Your slims are excellent and I really like the center band substitutions; I dislike the stock bands as well. Recently, I have taken to making single barrel slims. There are a few tutorial in the library on how to do them.

Last edited:

Wmcullen

Welcome aboard. Your slims are excellent and I really like the center band substitutions; I dislike the stock bands as well. Recently, I have taken to making single barrel slims. There are a few tutorial in the library on how to do them.
Thanks for the recommendation John. I will look into it.

LK&T

Welcome to the site. Makes me the second newest member, but unlike you I'm new to pen turning. I like what you do with the slimlines a lot. Ironically, I was just watching a video recommended to me about making slimlines with a single, continuous barrel. You might be interested, but I think what you're doing looks nice.

Wmcullen

Welcome to the site. Makes me the second newest member, but unlike you I'm new to pen turning. I like what you do with the slimlines a lot. Ironically, I was just watching a video recommended to me about making slimlines with a single, continuous barrel. You might be interested, but I think what you're doing looks nice.

I appreciate you sending the video. Seems like people go to all lengths to get away from the chrome band and take the slimline kits to another level. I love it.

LK&T

I appreciate you sending the video. Seems like people go to all lengths to get away from the chrome band and take the slimline kits to another level. I love it.
Well, the Idea I got last night- inspired by your pens- is making a wood band that I can sand on the lathe along with the blank segments. The goal is to get a seamless transition from the blank segments to the band, something I've yet to do. I'm also gonna move to turning between centers and ditch the mandrel.

Wmcullen

Well, the Idea I got last night- inspired by your pens- is making a wood band that I can sand on the lathe along with the blank segments. The goal is to get a seamless transition from the blank segments to the band, something I've yet to do. I'm also gonna move to turning between centers and ditch the mandrel.
I really appreciate the kind words. I've been on this site for about a day and have already felt indebted to some of the great work I've seen. Truth be told, I was up turning a little later than normal last night (sorry neighbors) because of one pen shape I wanted to attempt. I'm also thinking I'll post a few of the processes I use... not sure if they're useful to others but I'm always happy to share.

Buckmark13

Welcome from the Oakton / Herndon area!!!

I'm still relatively new myself, but if I can help with anything don't hesitate to reach out.

Top Bottom