Hello from DC.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdindc

Hello IAP folk,

I am interested in learning how to turn pens and found this site. What I have seen so far has been interesteing and informative. Looking into getting bacis equipment and starting my pen turning journey.

Best,

Steven

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewby108

Welcome. Great set of resources in the library for starting out and community to ask questions to. Looking forward to seeing your work

Basic equipment, a WEN midi lathe or Harbor Freight one are great started lathes. You will need a slow speed grinder and a jig system like the Wolverine one is very helpful. For tools, the starter lathe chisel set from Harbor Freight is good. Get the purplish colored handle set, their higher tier one. You will start to learn basic techniques and won't be upset with potential harm to tools while learning to sharpen them.

Welcome to bottomless pit with the rest of us.

sdindc

Basic equipment, a WEN midi lathe or Harbor Freight one are great started lathes. You will need a slow speed grinder and a jig system like the Wolverine one is very helpful. For tools, the starter lathe chisel set from Harbor Freight is good. Get the purplish colored handle set, their higher tier one. You will start to learn basic techniques and won't be upset with potential harm to tools while learning to sharpen them.

Welcome to bottomless pit with the rest of us.
Thanks for the advice. I was looking into the Turncrafter Commander 12 VS starter set. I've looked around the forums and see a bit good and dad about most lathes. Any thoughts on the Commander 12 VS?

One of the things I note is that the Commander 12 VS is 1 hp where as the WEN is ~ 1/2 hp - provided my google search is correct.

Thanks for the advice. I was looking into the Turncrafter Commander 12 VS starter set. I've looked around the forums and see a bit good and dad about most lathes. Any thoughts on the Commander 12 VS?

One of the things I note is that the Commander 12 VS is 1 hp where as the WEN is ~ 1/2 hp - provided my google search is correct.

In the end, starter lathes are not overly powerful and are largely interchangeable and brand isn't essential. WEN lists their lathe as amps rather than HP so I do not really know how those correlate exactly. I do know that there are a variety of models for WEN and the amp/HP varies with some of those models. It comes down to what you are willing to spend and what you want starting out, more HP costs more money.

At the same time, what do you plan on doing with this lathe? If it is pens, bottle stoppers or similar small projects 1HP isn't required. It definitely helps and would be beneficial overall if you can afford the more expensive lathe with the higher HP.

For the Commander itself, that lathe is average to be fully honest. I used this model at a turners conference when I was doing a demonstration. Even though it is listed as 1HP the lathe can bog down fairly easily, moreso than my 1HP midi Rikon (70-220vsr) or other midi lathes I have worked with. The light attachment is bulky and awkward and wasn't a great help, you would be better served getting small, adjustable LED lights off amazon to use. It would be better without that light attached. Overall it is a solid starter lathe if you don't want to spend more than the $400-500.

If you want a quality midi lathe and can spend more, consider the NOVA Comet 14dr, Rikon 70-150vsr, Jet 1221cs or Laguna REVO 1524. Of these the NOVA is the cheapest by far and still has the 1HP but is from a company known for making quality lathes. Honestly, the 4 brands listed here are largely interchangeable for the midi category and it comes down to brand preference. They will all do what you want and it comes down to what your willing to spend. You can outgrow a midi lathe quite easily and faster than you realize.

sdindc

In the end, starter lathes are not overly powerful and are largely interchangeable and brand isn't essential. WEN lists their lathe as amps rather than HP so I do not really know how those correlate exactly. I do know that there are a variety of models for WEN and the amp/HP varies with some of those models. It comes down to what you are willing to spend and what you want starting out, more HP costs more money.

At the same time, what do you plan on doing with this lathe? If it is pens, bottle stoppers or similar small projects 1HP isn't required. It definitely helps and would be beneficial overall if you can afford the more expensive lathe with the higher HP.

For the Commander itself, that lathe is average to be fully honest. I used this model at a turners conference when I was doing a demonstration. Even though it is listed as 1HP the lathe can bog down fairly easily, moreso than my 1HP midi Rikon (70-220vsr) or other midi lathes I have worked with. The light attachment is bulky and awkward and wasn't a great help, you would be better served getting small, adjustable LED lights off amazon to use. It would be better without that light attached. Overall it is a solid starter lathe if you don't want to spend more than the $400-500.

If you want a quality midi lathe and can spend more, consider the NOVA Comet 14dr, Rikon 70-150vsr, Jet 1221cs or Laguna REVO 1524. Of these the NOVA is the cheapest by far and still has the 1HP but is from a company known for making quality lathes. Honestly, the 4 brands listed here are largely interchangeable for the midi category and it comes down to brand preference. They will all do what you want and it comes down to what your willing to spend. You can outgrow a midi lathe quite easily and faster than you realize.
Great information. Right now my focus is just pens and figuring out from there.

sdindc

Hello all,

This weekend I purchased a used set up for a really good price. Working to put in my garage and orgnaize the space to start turning!

Attachments

• pen 6.jpg
    pen 6.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 49
  • pen 5.jpg
    pen 5.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 50
  • pen 4.jpg
    pen 4.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 48
  • pen 3.jpg
    pen 3.jpg