Hello from Culloden, WV

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ColStover

Will I follow orders - Jeff's intro email direct new members to this forum & ask them to do their first post.

I have turned 3 wood pens and enjoyed doing it ... My technique is very crude but I'm working on it.

Have a used Jet mini lathe - the one that requires you to change belts for different speeds. I bought a router speed control fthat I've used vs changing belts when I sand. My drilling and assembly jigs are 'home made'. Just ordered a Peachtree drilling jig - should be here today. Have bought kits from Woodcraft and Penn Industries.

I belong to a local Woodworker club where there a number of folks there that turn pens. They have been very helpful ...

While in San Diego for work I bought the book - Pen Turner's Bible. Read it on the trip home.

I'm struggling with the sanding - how to know which grade to start with and how to progress to the next grade. In the Pen Turner's bible he recommends 220 and finish with 440. Don't have the 'eyes' yet to identify scratches. I don't like wood pens that have been finished such as they look acrylic. I have been using Super Glue as finish.

Gerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

Hi Gerry,

Welcome!

The better you get a turner, the higher the grit you will likely be able to start at.

What helped me a lot was getting a pair of safety glasses (from Woodcraft) that have a 2x magnifying bifocal type thing to them. I could see the scratches much more clearly with those and then my sanding and finishing improved significantly.

Dave

OZturner

Welcome aboard, from Sydney Australia.

Keep reading the posts daily, and you will gather the answers to most of your Questions.
There are a lot of top turners out there, who are regularly sharing their knowledge and experience.
IAP is a Gold Mine of Information and Support
Brian

Magicbob

welcome from beautiful Akron, OH, where more West Virginians live per square mile than in all of WV

Magicbob

Peety, we do have those (students and blimps) but we also have tires, plastic, polymer, machines, fishing lures, boilers, tools, and many other things made here mostly by people rooted in WV.

jsolie

Welcome from Southern California!

When I sand, I usually start with either 180 or 120 grit, depending on how much final shaping I want to do (and how bad my tool handling was). I end up at 600 grit before applying finish (which is usually CA glue). I have been known to dig out some 1000+ grit from time to time.

Top Bottom