Hello from Connecticut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome to IAP
No time like the present to jump in. Three years, or so, ago I had the same idea and it's turned out pretty good. Ask away, you'll get some great advice here.

studioseven

Bob,
Welcome to the IAP. There are some very talented and creative pen turners here. They never cease to amaze me.

Seven

leehljp

Member Liaison
If you want to shorten the learning curve, practice, practice, practice.

I made 3 or 4 pens and knew I didn't know how to do a decent job. I took a 2x4 about 2 ft long and made a bunch of pen blanks out of it. I had ordered a bunch of tubes (didn't cost that much). My objective was not a pen or pens, but to learn and get the feel of the turning tool, turning to size, sanding and finishing. I practiced on one aspect at a time. An hour or two turning, an hour or so sanding, and much time of apply and sanding finish. My purpose was to get the feel and experience of each step, not a final pen. There was a remarkable difference between the first 3 or 4 pens versus the next ones. I think the two greatest things that came out of it was the "feel" of the tool as it cut and the finish - what to recognize in applying and sanding the finish to a smooth shine. (but I don't sand much anymore, rather turn it smooth with my tools.)

LeahPowell

Welcome to the forum.By the way, I'm also a beginner. I'm 22 years old and live in Missouri.

Top Bottom