Hello from Colorado!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Hi! My name is Jon Rista, and I'm a relatively new turner in general, and new pen turner. I started wood turning right as the pandemic started in 2020, March and April. I got into pen making late summer/early fall last year, and it has become the majority of my turning as of late. Somehow turning pens (and other items, like letter openers, measuring cups and spoons, shavers, and other small pen-like or small spindle items/utensils/etc.) has really become something I truly love. I love working with wood in general, love bowls and vases and the like, but I find turning pens to be more relaxing and satisfying overall (maybe because each project is a little shorter and completed within a day or two, whereas a lot of the bowl projects can sometimes day days, weeks, or even a month to final, buffed out finish if oils are involved.)

I'm looking to go from just a hobbyist, to more professional, making pens to sell, and maybe taking on commissions here and there. I've refined my skill with pen making fairly well, however I still seem to have some struggles getting that "perfect seam", and in some cases avoiding cracks, so its time to turn to some online help, I think!

I have worked for a few months on that perfect seam skill, and I'm still having trouble. At this point, I think it may be less a skill thing, and perhaps more a tool thing. I've progressed through the options, until finally settling on a PSI Turn Between Centers mandrel. It is MUCH better than the other options, but I think there is still a slight out of issue with the tailstock part of it, and that seems to cause issues trying to turn blanks down to the same size as the bushings. They usually will be on one side, but not on the other, and for the life of me I've not been able to resolve the issue. Hoping to find some help with the issue here!

Some of my recent pens...all pretty good, but all took a lot of effort to get the seams as good as they are, and still not that perfect exactly matching size I am really looking for.

Recent Pens for Demo-1.jpg

24k gold + design kit w/ Lignum Vitae

Recent Pens for Demo-2.jpg

Antique Polished Brass Rollerball w/ Buckeye Burl

Recent Pens for Demo-4.jpg

Wall Street III w/ Green Quarts Polyester

And tried something different with this one...something I haven't seen done before, and it took a few tries, but I really like how this came out and am going to be trying some more of this:

Recent Pens for Demo-3.jpg

Slimline Pencil w/ Bog Oak and Custom Brass Accents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hello Jon !! . Warm welcome to IAP !! . . :D :D

Those are lovely looking pens, and the letter opener also !! . . Thanks for showing !!

jrista

Hello Jon !! . Warm welcome to IAP !! . . :D :D

Those are lovely looking pens, and the letter opener also !! . . Thanks for showing !!
Thank you!

The letter opener is my second. I actually liked this kit, although I accidentally turned the blank a little wrong (sized incorrectly, but didn't realize until I'd finished it.) I kind of like the idea of turning a letter opener along with a pen, same kind of blanks, and selling as a set.

jrista

Welcome from Colorado Springs!

Measure all the kit components and bushings with calipers. Use calipers for your final size.
Yeah, sounds like measuring with calipers is a key part of ensuring proper sizing.

Opened a thread on the subject, and some recommendations were also to just use normal tapered dead and live centers for the final turning as well, which should eliminate any bushing looseness/vibration issues. Gotta give these things a try!

magpens

Yeah, sounds like measuring with calipers is a key part of ensuring proper sizing.

Opened a thread on the subject, and some recommendations were also to just use normal tapered dead and live centers for the final turning as well, which should eliminate any bushing looseness/vibration issues. Gotta give these things a try!

Definitely try without bushings ..... you will be pleased with the improvement in accuracy that you get.

But you need calipers to check diameters ( but you should use calipers in the final stages even when using bushings ).

jrista

Definitely try without bushings ..... you will be pleased with the improvement in accuracy that you get.

But you need calipers to check diameters ( but you should use calipers in the final stages even when using bushings ).

Yeah, I haven't been using calipers so far, but they are definitely going on my checklist. Seems the only good way to get exactly the right dimensions, as sometimes I've noticed even the bushings don't perfectly match the kits (maybe its the kits that vary).

Top Bottom