Hello from Charlotte, NC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tdotrob

Howdy! When I started turning in 2020 I tried a bit of everything, but lately it's been mostly pens. A *lot* of pens. So many in fact that friends and family are now declining new gifts and the pens are starting to pile up. So yesterday I took time off from pens and turned a pen pot to put them in. The pen pot blank was cast from lots of pen blank offcuts that I couldn't bring myself to toss out.

PenPot.jpg

My favorite pen recently is this PSI Dragon pen with a PolyAg "Fossil" barrel. The offcut from this pen made it into the pen pot and can be seen in the bottom center-left. The PolyAg blanks are quite fun to turn, by the way. They cut well and I haven't had any chips or chunks fly off like some of the other aggregate blanks I have tried.

DragonPen.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is making and posting these days.

-- T.Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

The container is a cool idea and very creative use of your materials. The pen is simply outstanding. The blank colors and patterns go so incredibly well with the plating and design of the kit. I've made a note to myself to pick up one of those blanks the next time I get to WoodCraft. - Dave

tdotrob

The container is a cool idea and very creative use of your materials. The pen is simply outstanding. The blank colors and patterns go so incredibly well with the plating and design of the kit. I've made a note to myself to pick up one of those blanks the next time I get to WoodCraft. - Dave
Thanks, Dave! This was one of those rare pens that came out better than I'd imagined it. Frequently, I imagine diamonds and crank out coal. :rolleyes:

The PolyAg blanks are a bit expensive but on the right pen it is worth it. Here's one on a Nouveau Scepter, for example. I believe this is their "Coral" pattern. Zero finish on this one, by the way. Just MicroMesh and High-Gloss polish brought it to a nice sheen.

Nouveau Sceptre.jpg

sorcerertd

Welcome from Winston Salem!

So many in fact that friends and family are now declining new gifts and the pens are starting to pile up.
I had to laugh at this. There's always donations for charity auctions, though.

Those polyag blanks are pretty nice. I hadn't seen them before. Also, I love the color variation patched look of that pencil cup. There's no such thing as scraps!

tdotrob

Welcome from Winston Salem!

I had to laugh at this. There's always donations for charity auctions, though.

Those polyag blanks are pretty nice. I hadn't seen them before. Also, I love the color variation patched look of that pencil cup. There's no such thing as scraps!
Howdy neighbor! Thanks for the charity auction idea. I might do that.
Agreed on scraps. In part because the the stuff that reluctantly gets trashed because it sometimes piles up faster than it can be used wasn't scrapped so much as sacrificed.

Top Bottom