Hello from British Columbia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rdvawter

Just a greeting from beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I've done woodworking of some kind most of my life. Got the bug from my dad. I used to help him with projects around the house when I was a kid.

I'm just getting back into wood turning after more than a year of having no lathe or shop. Finally finished my move and built a shop so I can get back into it.

I had a few pen kits left over from a couple of years ago and thought I would give them a try. It's amazing how much you forget, and how odd what used to be a familiar tool can feel. So I thought I would sign up here and get some info on pen turning.

Ralph

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Ralph.

You do live in a beautiful area - I got to visit Vancouver once a number of years ago.

I hope you'll join in the upcoming BASH activities. Let me know if you have any questions.

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Ralph !!! . WOW ! . ... lots of newcomers today ... it's GREAT !

rdvawter

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Nedge, I was born in Nanaimo and lived most of my life there. I just recently moved up here to get away from the rat race, the ferries, and to retire.
Ralph

Hawkdave

G'Day Ralph and welcome to IAP.

It is great fun when you learn as a child. I can remember working in Dad's shed on some woodworking projects. In fact, I run driveway workshops for the kids in the street where I live. This is done during the school holidays to give them something to do. Some of the things they have made are;

Ladder Golf Game
Moon Tractor
Tic Tac Toe games
Disc Drop game
Tower of Hanoi game
Helicopters

We do the projects in the driveway for a number of reasons, it is too hot to work in the shed here in Aussie, the shed is too small for all of them to fit in, it keeps them away from machinery as some are only 5 years old. It also gives me protection if another adult can't help that day.

The kids love it so much that they have requested boomerangs for these holidays.

Dave.

rdvawter

In fact, I run driveway workshops for the kids in the street where I live. This is done during the school holidays to give them something to do. Some of the things they have made are;

Ladder Golf Game
Moon Tractor
Tic Tac Toe games
Disc Drop game
Tower of Hanoi game
Helicopters

We do the projects in the driveway for a number of reasons, it is too hot to work in the shed here in Aussie, the shed is too small for all of them to fit in, it keeps them away from machinery as some are only 5 years old. It also gives me protection if another adult can't help that day.

Wow Dave, what a great way to teach them something hands on, while also keeping them busy and away from things much worse. Although the need to buy just one more tool is pretty bad.:wink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom