Hello from Barbados!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

siric

Hi All,

I am an intermediate woodworker here in Barbados and have most of my experience in cupboards, desks, bookshelves, etc. I have scaled back on these projects as there are only so many of these that you can fit into a house!!

Have been looking for another tract in WW and it was a toss up between Scrolling and Turning and the turning seems to have won after I started reading about and looking at the fabulous pens that can be made.

I have to purchase a lathe however, and am down to the Shopfox W1704, ShopFox 1752 and the Jet JML 1014I.

Landing a lathe in Barbados with shipping etc. will cost me the price of the lathe again, so I have to be conscious of this, but need a quality unit as once it is here, there is no sending it back if does not work properly.

I am drifting more to SFs due to the price (and the 1704 is variable speed --does this matter??) and the Amazon reviews as they seem to excellent value for money.

Also need to purchase a set of turning tools.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Welcome to IAP the the wonderful hobby of penturning. You will soon be addicted like the rest of us.

If you choose the shop fox, stick with the 1752 because it has 1x8 nose threads and both the head stock and tail stock have MT2 tapers. Morris taper #2 offers the most versatility since you will find more choices of drives, mandrels, and live centers in MT2 (and easier to find) than MT1 tooling. The 1x8 nose threads offer the same versatility.

I have two jet 1014 mini lathes and they have not missed a beat. One is variable speed and the other is not. I do like variable speed but it is not a necessity as the belt changes are not difficult. Even the variable speed jet has three belt positions with variable speed in each range. So it is not variable speed as from zero to fastest with the turn of the dial.

I hope someone will offer advice on the shop fox so you can make an informed decision.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hi All,

I am an intermediate woodworker here in Barbados and have most of my experience in cupboards, desks, bookshelves, etc. I have scaled back on these projects as there are only so many of these that you can fit into a house!!

Have been looking for another tract in WW and it was a toss up between Scrolling and Turning and the turning seems to have won after I started reading about and looking at the fabulous pens that can be made.

I have to purchase a lathe however, and am down to the Shopfox W1704, ShopFox 1752 and the Jet JML 1014I.

Landing a lathe in Barbados with shipping etc. will cost me the price of the lathe again, so I have to be conscious of this, but need a quality unit as once it is here, there is no sending it back if does not work properly.

I am drifting more to SFs due to the price (and the 1704 is variable speed --does this matter??) and the Amazon reviews as they seem to excellent value for money.

Also need to purchase a set of turning tools.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

broitblat

Welcome, Steve.

I don't have any experience with Shop Fox, but I've had several Jet lathes and found them to be solid and reliable. I do recommend the variable speed. It's not "necessary", but it is a nice convenience especially for finishing.

-Barry

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Steve. Welcome from sunny southern California.

I only have experience with the Jet mini Lathe VS. I've loved it. I've had a few problems but have been able to fix them myself. My tool preference is Sorby tools. That's a my personal choice.

Here is a link that may help you figure out some things:
For a start here's an outline of the some of the essential things to start with – by Hank
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41005

This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Fred

Welcome to the Forum, Steve. Glad to have you with us, yet I wish I was in Barbados and once again SCUBA diving for a living.

Get the lathe with the variable speed as it sure comes in handy all the time. Once you use a VS lathe I bet you won't give up the ease of picking a workable speed for various materials ... especially useful when finishing.

Tools, I would recommend a quality set of HSS tools. I like the tools with long handles as it helps to have the extra leverage for balance and control. Short handles just don't fit my style of turning at all. I am 5'8" and have my lathe set so that my elbow is at a 90 degree angle to my stock. Short handles just don't allow me the "feel" I want to have and wear my wrists out after a long day turning. (You can always turn your own longer handles if you buy unhandled tools.

What are you considering for sharpening of your tools? Scary sharp tools are definitely a must and a grinder doesn't give ME the razor sharp cutting edges. Tormek, or something similar, is what many of us use. Costly, yes, but dependable and the repetition of getting the same edge again and again with ease is definitely nice. Tormek has a tool holder for just about everything made that has a cutting edge.

Another consideration would be any of the tools that use replacable carbide cutting inserts. Several IAP members offer these tools and they are excellent. Do a SEARCH here for carbide and see who has what ... I am not at my PC and don't have the list available right now. Someone else here on the Forum surely may want to give them to you ...

Have a great life in Barbados and send us some fresh lobster, Grouper, Red Snapper, etc. :biggrin:

siric

Thanks to all for the welcomes. Have been spending the few nights looking at the AMAZING work by you all. Just this morning came across some Prickly Cactus pens and got goosebumps!!!

I have been also spending time looking at various lathes (thanks for the recommendations) and tools. I will not be purchasing before October, so have some time to make sure that I have my list right - will post here just before to make sure that I've got everything I need.

Fred - thanks for the info and will definitely spend some time looking at sharpening tools.

In the meantime, will be reading as much as I can.

Thanks again and look forward to contributing!!

Top Bottom