Hello from AZ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kelley Crafts

Hey all, I've already done some posting but haven't done this part yet.

I have never turned a pen before. I just ordered what I needed to in order to so I should be making pens soon enough. My wife spends a lot of time in the shop with me so I have been trying to hide the fact that I ordered the pen stuff and will be trying to make her a nice gift for her birthday. She's a big wig over with the State so she would really enjoy a nice pen or two. I just need to be sneaky about it. I am a woodworker. Hybrid type, mostly hand tools though. Just got into the lathe because I needed some tool handles and make a lot of items for gifts (screwdriver sets and things of that nature). My wife saw the General Lathe maxi-lathe VF at Woodcraft for 50% off and she said we had to get it. We didn't need it but that woman will do anything for 40% off or more (think craft store coupons if you have a wife like mine).

Anyway, looking at examples around here and you all do great work. I really need to learn about the different pen kits.

If you want to recommend a "cats meow" kit blank combo for the wife's b-day pen I am all ears. Her favorite color is green but that doesn't have to play into it. Her birthday in in a month so I have time to order and still receive what I need. I plan to knock out a couple of practice pens so I can nail hers down right.

Thanks already for all the advice. I'm very active in other woodworking forums so I will definitely actively give advice when I have the answers, learning on this one for now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kentonjm

Well Hello there David. Twice in one day. I think you PM'd me this morning over on Lumberjocks.I can't imagine 2 people into woodworking in AZ using the handle "ki7hy"

Welcome anyway, I am new on this forum too and its good to see more Phoenicians.

Kelley Crafts

That would be me. Nice to see you over here. Expanding my horizons a bit. Actually mostly looking at building some things for the wife that she won't know about in advance. Flat work takes time and space, hard to hide that from her. So turning stuff is quick and easy and done in a day usually so I think I might be able to surprise her more often.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Kelley Crafts

So turning stuff is quick and easy and done in a day usually so I think I might be able to surprise her more often.

And you will be able to surprise her with all your new tool, lathe accessories and blank purchases...

She actually will like that stuff. Until her birthday I need to hide it all. lol The boxes in the mail will be easy since her birthday is coming I can just tell her it's none of her business. All monies I'm using come out of a separate account I use for shop supplies and stuff. So I'm kind of excited. Trying to figure out the best pen kit to buy. I'll figure out the wood after that. I have some nice pink striped tulip wood but will probably do something else.

OZturner

Welcome David, from Sydney Australia.

You might like to have a look at the PSI Princess Pen.
I have noticed, it is the Pen that Most Women Pick up from a Display.
It has a most attractive shape and weight, it is adorned with 50 Swarovski Crystals, down the Clip and around the Center Band.
Regards,
Brian.

Kelley Crafts

Welcome David, from Sydney Australia.

You might like to have a look at the PSI Princess Pen.
I have noticed, it is the Pen that Most Women Pick up from a Display.
It has a most attractive shape and weight, it is adorned with 50 Swarovski Crystals, down the Clip and around the Center Band.
Regards,
Brian.

Brian.....that is my wife. Ordered 2!!! And a bunch of other kits I had in my cart to get the 10% off over $50 promotion.

THANK YOU SIR! I got the rose gold and then just the silver one. They only had 3 types in stock. I've been on that site for an hour or more and didn't see that pen. Way too many. I love PSI though. Been using the Benjamin's best just fine so far.

Dave

Kelley Crafts

Thanks Mark...I'll need it. She likes to get her hands dirty in the shop so all pen turning needs to be on the hush hush until October 4. So be quiet guys and gals please. ;)

Sappheiros

Welcome from Chicago!

As for kits and color combos, I turned a moss green blank with a Victorian pen kit and I just love the look of it! If your wife likes intricate over simple, try this out!

Attachments

• image-3808241298.jpg
    image-3808241298.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 91

Kelley Crafts

Those are nice too. Thanks everyone for the welcomes. I must have missed the email saying I received more messages here. I didn't mean to bail on everyone. Thank you! Learning a lot about pens here.

Kelley Crafts

Welcome from Chicago!

As for kits and color combos, I turned a moss green blank with a Victorian pen kit and I just love the look of it! If your wife likes intricate over simple, try this out!

That's awesome. I think she would love that. She likes all of that intricate stuff. I might have to wait on that one for another time due to the order I already placed. That green is her favorite color as well.

Imagination overload with this stuff....it's awesome.

Top Bottom