Hello from Austin Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Knockologist

Hello everyone! I just stepped into the hobby a couple of months ago with a desire to make mechanical pencils. As a long time mechanical pencil collector, and after acquiring a couple thousand pieces from around the world, I was looking for something new and fresh to fuel my passion.

I am just now starting the journey in making my own pieces and have been having a ton of fun. There's been plenty of challenges in learning this but I'm having a ball.

I'm not a Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram user but it seems like this forum may be the one resource I can join and follow. So hello to you all đź‘‹.

My focus is on making custom pieces based off of Pentel, rOtring, Pilot, etc models.

It seems like most of the pens and pencils that are turned use a 7mm mandrel and brass tube inserts which hasn't really been working for what I want to do. Wanting a slimmer profile, like the Pentel P205, has been a challenge for some woods and especially hybrids. I've made some good progress but am still working on fine tuning and finding the right balance between slim and strong.

Anyways. Here are a few pieces I've made so far.

0453B43A-0CC5-49DB-B22F-148AB4145917.jpeg

D72B0702-15EE-40F6-BF29-98546AA6D94A.jpeg

Below is a color changing piece based off of a Pentel PG5

A63A427B-FD1C-4925-A5B9-00D1F568E786.jpeg

749A273B-65F1-4410-9FA4-7F8EAAA12EAA.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Welcome to the group. Lots of information from the members and the library. My complements on the pencils! Well made and excellent photos. What camera are you using and what settings? iPhone perhaps?

Knockologist

Welcome to the group. Lots of information from the members and the library. My complements on the pencils! Well made and excellent photos. What camera are you using and what settings? iPhone perhaps?
Howdy. Thanks for the kind words. The photos were taken with an iPhone.

its_virgil

Welcome and I hope you enjoy our community here. I make lots of Pentel conversions and have for several years. The process, for me at least, has evolved from my first try. Your Pentel conversions are very nice. They look great with the material you picked. You may want to check out a very clever way to do the conversion. Read the article here: Pentel Conversion Article

Be sure to check out the library. It is nice place to spend some reading time.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom