Hello from Atlanta

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jlmoon

Just saying hello, and thanks for adding me. Just giving turning pens a try.

I made one from leftover cherry today and see where some improvements can be made...
16340791904978620156286714584880.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome form Ohio. A bit of tweaking, but that is a lot of the enjoyment.
IMO: Use calipers vs bushings for end measurements. ;)

jlmoon

Not sure how, but the pen tip is perfect on one side, but the wood is proud on the other. Also uneven fit at the back half against the center ring. I think maybe the blank wasnt square?

At any rate, harder than it looks on YouTube!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Not sure how, but the pen tip is perfect on one side, but the wood is proud on the other. Also uneven fit at the back half against the center ring. I think maybe the blank wasnt square?

At any rate, harder than it looks on YouTube!
A very common problem, many possible issues. May be due to the mandrel, bushings, several others. (But practice with each - simply turning practice blanks with bushings; blanks with glued in tubes/no bushings; and with TBC; and checking with calipers will help. Also insure your mandrel rods are plumb).

ME... I turn on an adjustable 'straight' madrel'. I stop 2-3x per blank and loosen the tailstock, bushing, and rotate it 1/3/way, re-tighten all. My thought is that this will diminish (I never say never) the 'out-of-round' issues.

jlmoon

The lathe is in a maker space and it's my first time using it. I noticed that when I adjusted in the tail it was just slightly off and didn't meet the mandrel without a little finesse. Not sure whether that's an issue or if so, why.

SouthpawJ

Welcome from Gwinnett Co. I visited a maker space several years ago, but unfortunately haven't joined yet due to time constraints. They look like a lot of fun.

Gary Beasley

Welcome from another Marietta turner. Next time try a Comfort twist to get a thicker centerband to match up with your design or try out drilling your own centerbands from scrap contrasting materials for the fun of it. I like the profile you gave it, just needs a bigger bands to finish it off.

howsitwork

welcome to the play pen from the UK contingent

lots of fun to be had and lessons to inspire on here

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Welcome to our home. We have many ideas and tutorials for your review.

Take a look at our Library of Tutorials listed on the Home Page under "General Announcements".

Here is a direct link to the Library of Tutorials Menu.

Here's a list of world wide Pen Suppliers.

Let me know if you find any others.

Have Fun!

Top Bottom