Hello from Athens, GA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

Hello, everybody. Been looking around here for awhile and finally decided it was time to get in the game, so to speak. My name is Brian, and I've been turning since January. I live just outside of Athens, GA. I was actually in the Woodcraft store in Atlanta the day of the Southeast chapter meeting and was told by one of the store employees to go back and say hi, but unfortunately, I was a little nervous so perhaps the next time...

Just thought I would share some of my work with you as well...I look forward to any compliments or criticisms you might have. Always interested in becoming a better pen maker and a better turner. :)

Attachments

• Cigar.jpg
    Cigar.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Euro.jpg
    Euro.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Fountainpen.jpg
    Fountainpen.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Teacherspen.jpg
    Teacherspen.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Wallstreet.jpg
    Wallstreet.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 129
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Brian. Looks like you have mastered some difficult pens already. You are ready to start helping the folks new to pen turning . . . and some old folks who haven't been able to do corn cob pens - yet.

As a welcome to IAP, I am including a link to a PDF file that goes over many aspects of pen turning from finish - to pens - to tools - to methods etc. It is not in detail but a good overview for pen turning. (Looking at your skill - you are probably beyond most of this, if not all.)

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Also included below is a link to a new post that gives some information that people wished they had known earlier in pen turning. Some good information by those that make pens.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from sunny southern California.

And thats a great selection of pens there! Great start!

JimB

Welcome from upstate New York. Very nice group of pens. For taking pictures try a different background so the pens don't blend into the background so much. I think a solid color would work better.

bvanwie

Welcome, Brian, I'm in Athens as well. :) There is a woodturning group called Classic City Woodturners that you might be interested in. Send me a PM with your email address if you are and I'll add you to our email list. We meet once/month, usually the last Monday of the month. This month, however, we're having a Saturday meeting. It is a good group of folks that I have learned a LOT from about woodturning.

Rollerbob

Hey Brian, I'm from Athens, also!..........................Texas. Welcome to the world's largest sawdust makers and CA sniffers!!

Fred

Welcometo the Forum, Brian! Very glad ti=o have you with us. I live 6 miles east of Stn Mountain over in Tucker.

Do you know about the Southeastern Chapter?

watchman7

Welcome Brian,

Looks like you have a great start with making pens. The last IAP Southeast Chapter meeting was a fun time. Take a look under the Local Chapters for a summary of the meeting on June 20th. The next meeting is in September. Hope to see you there. Bring Pens!!!!

NascarBowl

Welcome Brian. I believe the next meeting is September 19 at the Woodcraft store. So come on down and come on in next time. last meeting was my first time. lot of nice people with a lot of knowledge and were willing to share their knowledge. Lot of fun. Keep check ont he Local chapters forum for the Southeast chapter.

Gene in Griffin

bgibb42

...and some old folks who haven't been able to do corn cob pens - yet.

The corn cob pen is the only one I've attempted so far, so I think it was more beginner's luck to pull it off.

Welcome, Brian, I'm in Athens as well. :) There is a woodturning group called Classic City Woodturners that you might be interested in. Send me a PM with your email address if you are and I'll add you to our email list. We meet once/month, usually the last Monday of the month. This month, however, we're having a Saturday meeting. It is a good group of folks that I have learned a LOT from about woodturning.

PM sent--thanks in advance

Welcome from upstate New York. Very nice group of pens. For taking pictures try a different background so the pens don't blend into the background so much. I think a solid color would work better.

Thanks for the tip--photography is something I have never been very good at, so I will need all the help I can get.

Welcome! Nice looking pens!

Go Dawgs

Go Jackets! (I usually tell people I live in enemy territory :biggrin:)

Welcometo the Forum, Brian! Very glad ti=o have you with us. I live 6 miles east of Stn Mountain over in Tucker.

Do you know about the Southeastern Chapter?

Welcome Brian,

Looks like you have a great start with making pens. The last IAP Southeast Chapter meeting was a fun time. Take a look under the Local Chapters for a summary of the meeting on June 20th. The next meeting is in September. Hope to see you there. Bring Pens!!!!

Welcome Brian. I believe the next meeting is September 19 at the Woodcraft store. So come on down and come on in next time. last meeting was my first time. lot of nice people with a lot of knowledge and were willing to share their knowledge. Lot of fun. Keep check ont he Local chapters forum for the Southeast chapter.

Gene in Griffin

I am aware of the Southeast Chapter, and I hope that I can make it to the next meeting. It's the same day as my dad's birthday, but maybe I can get him down there with me (he turns pens as well).

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Brian

Welcome from Covington, Georgia! Please join us next time at the Southeast Chapter. Most of them dont bite...at least not hard anyways....

We have a great group of pen turners that meet, and share material and knowledge! Hope to see you in September.

Robert

Top Bottom