Hello everyone. I'm Stuart, AKA Turnedwritepens, from Rotherham, in Great Britain.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Best wishes to you all.

I've been Pen Making for around seven years now, I believe. I absolutely love it, and can think of no better way to spend my spare time than to challenge myself to create more intricate pen blanks than ones I have made previously, thus expanding my abilities everytime I enter my workshop.

I'm 41 years young, am married to the most wonderful woman any Pen Maker could wish to meet and have three amazing children of whom I am justly proud of.

The only fly in my ointment is the fact that five years ago I was diagnosed with incurable bone cancer. This has, needless to say, required me to undergo some serious chemotherapy treatment that has left me unable to do any turning for extended periods of time.

Being unable to create pens has been very difficult, on a mental and emotional basis, for me to take. As such, whilst hospitalised for long periods I took to creating pens on paper; drawing shapes, making note of what woods may contrast nicely, what techniques may mix to give a nice overall pattern finish etc, and I found this helped raise my spirits enough to get me through.

Thankfully, for the past few months now I have been able to get back in my workshop to doing the physical aspect of Pen Making. Though not quite back in full throttle mode, I think I'm at least getting into third gear and revving up for that final gear change.

I'm definitely going to be needing plenty of advice from this site's members, as Pen Making has come on in leaps and bounds during my forced absences. I hope, however, that I am treated more kindly than I was on a previous site. Through taking a daily dose of morphine for pain, I posted a write up on how I had finished a pen using a technique and product I had never used before, which I stated, and I had certain seniour members imply I was full of ***ls**t for putting what I did. And when I attempted an explanation, I just received comments of similar ilk, instead of receiving any helpful comments regarding what technique I should have used (even though I did ask for help with this). It is one of the reasons I have chosen to join this site. The experience shook me and made me not wish to write any further posts on that other site in case I received similar treatment. I am usually not so timid, but chemotherapy can leave you quite brittle and feeling a lot more useless than you would normally.

Anyhow, enough of that before members start to hear violin music wafting over the airwaves. It's great to be accepted on here and I hope to make friends and acquaintances very soon. I'll try now to add a few pics of one of the latest pens I turned, but failing that I'll do so later when I can hopefully post a few pens together.

Seems like the uploads worked, so I'll give a brief write up.

The Jigsaw Pen Inlay Kit was coupled with a Gentleman's Classic Fountain Pen Kit, finished with 8 -10 coats of CA. The other pen was turned from Olive Wood with Australian Burr round insert inlays put in for fancy. I threw away the metal nib and centreband and top cap, and turned these from a contrasting hardwood instead. Finished again with 8 -10 coats of CA. Hope you like. All comments whether good or not so good will be appreciated.

Regards to all for now.

Stuart - Turnedwritepens
icon10.gif

Attachments

• penonbox.jpg
    penonbox.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 158
  • penonlid2.jpg
    penonlid2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 161
  • penonlid.jpg
    penonlid.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 121
  • jigsawinsidebox.jpg
    jigsawinsidebox.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 155
  • woodenpen.jpg
    woodenpen.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DFerguson777

I have been on other sites also and I like this one the best for many reasons, but most of all is the generous flow of great advise, praise, and fresh ideas.

Great pens. Welcome to IAP.

-Denny- NC

Mark

Welcome to the IAP. You have a great collection there. Glad your back in the shop again. Enjoy the site..

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Welcome to the IAP, thats the first time Ive seen the puzzle box for the pen. Mike

ldb2000

Welcome to the group Stuart . We are like an extended family here , some of the most sharing and caring people you will meet anywhere . We have our episodes from time to time but cooler heads always prevail .
Great looking pens , hope to see lots more .

David Keller

Welcome... Glad to hear you are back to making pens. I really like the two you posted, and I hope to see many more to come.

bitshird

Welcome to the IAP, we do have a great bunch of people from all walks of life and levels of skill,. Your pens look very nice indeed, and I really like the embellishments on the Olive wood pen, very nice.

lwalden

Welcome, Stuart, you've found a great site to join. Sorry to hear of the medical struggles, I can't even begin to understand what you're going through. Glad to hear you have a lovely and loving family, in addition to a creative outlet that you're getting back involved in. Hope you find this site to be the welcome haven it serves as for so many of us.

Last edited:

snyiper

Welcome from Southen Md Stuart!!! It is great to hear you have such a supportive family youll find much the same here as well. Glad to see you have made it back to your shop, your pens show excellent craftsmanship.

Many, many thanks to you all for your very kind messages of greeting and support. It means a lot to me. I can't wait to begin to start making new acquaintances and glean some of the impressive knowledge I have seen on the varied posts members have written.

Best regards and wishes to you all.

Stuart - Turnedwritepens

Bree

Welcome Stuart! You are very creative! You have excellent pens and I love that case!! That is waycool!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Crashmph

Welcome aboard Stuart. You may still find a few bad apples but for the most part they are very few. Your work looks very nice. I do like the custom pen with the replaced nib, centerband, and finial.

Michael

broitblat

Stuart,

Welcome to the IAP and thanks for sharing your pictures.

Every once in a while, someone *will* get their dander up, even here, but for the most part I think we're a pretty collegial group :)

-Barry

TRussell

Welcome Stuart and thanks for showing us the great pens. You will find this place really great to be a part of. Hang in there with the treatments and get to the shop when you can but get your rest. I went through colon cancer and six months of chemo several years ago so I know what it's like. I will keep you in my prayers.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Stuart! Glad you joined us. I've become another to have long spells away from the lathe as well. It certainly isnt easy . . . on me or those around. I've found this group to be most instructive, entertaining and encouraging. They even put up with me.

Youo may not need these links, but take 'em with a grain of salt. You'll find some good stuff there - as reference if nothing else.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

Top Bottom