Heirloom Watch Face

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

This is a watch face from my father's watch that he wore for years and years until it gave up the ghost. The finish has deteriorated around the edges. I want to make a heirloom pen featuring the face. The face is .87" by .87". Aside from myself, potential recipients are female. I am inclined to make the pen gender neutral.

Any suggestions as to an appropriate kit, finish and background color for the watch parts?

997244D7-46C5-4FB5-8972-8F849C5D5319.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

My suggestion would be to use a JR series kit such as a jr gent or Baron. I would use the barrel for the watch parts using a black metallic paint as the background. I would use automotive car paint or if have access powdercoat. Tired of seeing carbon fiber. parts get lost within that stuff. I would use the cap for a photo of your Dad to personalize it.

Charlie_W

Neat watch face with family history. I like the worn look...and yes to the antique brass.
In the pic, it appears to be raised or domed...not flat. If so, it may not be a good candidate for bending around a pen blank.
Another thought would be to cast it into a pendant and keeping it as is.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Neat watch face with family history. I like the worn look...and yes to the antique brass.
In the pic, it appears to be raised or domed...not flat. If so, it may not be a good candidate for bending around a pen blank.

I like the pendant idea. Cast in clear resin and polish. Drill a hole for a necklace.

Curly

Majestic Squire is a good candidate for your recipients and they have a little more room around the tube for casting. The curved face may or may not bend easily. If it flexes/bends easily in your fingers it should work. You won't know until you try though.

Cwalker935

Oops, I did some preliminary bending before reading your post. Fortunately it is bending quite nicely so the pendant idea is now moot.

How well do the antique brass finishes hold up?

magpens

I would agree with Curly's suggestion of a Majestic Squire but I am not sure it is available in an antique brass finish.

From my experience the antique brass finish (on the kits I have tried) stands up well.

Last edited:

magpens

Funny you should ask that ..... I have been thinking about that very matter since your last post.

I agree with JT that it should not be a woven fibre background, as that makes the appearance too "busy".

And I don't think the color should be a gold hue because that might detract from the watch face and render the gears, if you use any, somewhat less significant.

I am leaning towards a kind of grey/silver with a little bit of glitter.

There could very well be other options. I don't have any blank-making experience yet. Possibly metallic red or royal purple ???

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I do not like not adding a personal touch such as a photo or something to distinguish it from any other watch part pen and thus why I mentioned what I did. I have the same issue that I need to deal with but at least I have a few watches my Dad wore and I want to give to my brother and sisters. This is the way I will go with them. He would not be without his watch and in fact when he started having problems seeing the numbers I made him one of my wooden watches that he eventually took with him to his resting place. Memories....

Cwalker935

After playing around with watch parts and Majestic squire tubes, I think this the tube is just too small for this particular face. I did put together a couple using smaller faces and think they will be attractive pens. I will probably go with some jr. type of pen. I am also thinking a red powder coated background like the ones in the background of these blanks. JT, I appreciate the sentiment around the photo and will have to give more thought.

BF7CBE59-E7C2-4DE5-A041-4FE0AA0B6113.jpeg

BDB6579B-FE2B-4F1D-907B-B4DD5E99D567.jpeg

Charlie_W

After playing around with watch parts and Majestic squire tubes, I think this the tube is just too small for this particular face. I did put together a couple using smaller faces and think they will be attractive pens. I will probably go with some jr. type of pen. I am also thinking a red powder coated background like the ones in the background of these blanks. JT, I appreciate the sentiment around the photo and will have to give more thought.

View attachment 179831

View attachment 179832

I say Crimson!
———————
Roll Tide!

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam

View attachment 179831

View attachment 179832

Just be careful with that red. It like's to chip! Even with a primer base coat

magpens

Those blanks you show, Cody, are extremely attractive.

Yes, on further thought, the Squire tube is indeed on the small side.

Keep on keeping us posted, Cody; this is very interesting !!

Top Bottom