HEAT is too much...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />Am I the only one who has a shop with heat and air, and a constant 70F all year?? It sure is nice.

Hold that thought Russ. [:D] Come Sept, my new studio will be done and I can join the ranks of the comfortable turners. A/C, heat and 18' ceilings [8D]

I have turned 3 pens since Provo, and you guys saw them all, my reiview pens and that has been it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

baldysm

I have AC and air in the shop. I dont want to dread going into the shop and sweating, being uncomfortable. That's too much like work...

I used to work in a die cast shop. No AC and no heat in Michigan. It was in the high 90's during the summer, on cool days. You needed a coat in the winter unless you were near a casting machine, in which case you had a fan blowing on you. Can't imagine working on a casting machine in the summer.

its_virgil

108* in Wichita Falls yesterday and the same or more today. My shop does have AC and Heat and I run the AC more than the heat. When Anthony reports 115, is that his golf score? We were the hottest in the nation, except for Arizona, over the weekend.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />105 Yesterday wit ha heat index of 113, last I heard. Worked 14 hours at work, no AC there. Supposed to be near the same today. The only turning I've done for a while is to turn the corner [:p]

dubdrvrkev

I guess we are paying for all those times during the winter when we were out in shorts and t-shirts laughing at all you guys saying it was too cold to be in the shop.
I would say my shop is well over 120 when I get home from work. If I get out there early in the morning and get the cooler going I can turn for quite a few hours, but once the shop gets heat soaked I can't get it cooled off. My weekend mornings are normally dedicated to yard work [:(!][:(!] and when I finish I really don't feel like doing much.

HiTekRedNek

Don's right, Wichita Falls had the highest official temperature except for some places in AZ and the only places you hear about the extreme heat in the news is in places like New Jersey and all the northern states where they panic when it gets to 90 degrees. The DFW area only hit 105 officially.

woodwish

Originally posted by alparent
<br />I don't get it? You guys can dish out a couple of hundreds of dollors to buy pen kist but you can't get an AC unit? [;)]

Maybe there should be a group buy for AC units![:p]

Wow, I would agree! I installed operating AC while the interior of my shop was still under construction. It is a combo AC/heat but I think I have only turned on the heat once for a few hours. The only place I go without AC is my pool, but it was hot enough this week to consider it (pool temp today 93).[8D]

Texas Taco

Originally posted by lwalden
<br />turned 12 pens on Sunday- 103 in Dallas, no ac in the shop. Turn up the fan, crank up a little Stevie Ray Vaughn, and have a good time in the sauna.......er, shop.

Turning with Stevie, it don't get much better than that...........[8D]

Texas Taco

<br />Am I the only one who has a shop with heat and air, and a constant 70F all year?? It sure is nice.

The reason I bought my current house, A/C and Heat in the shop. Just need to get the stereo hooked up and ........

Pipes

Originally posted by Hemibee
<br />

The reason I bought my current house, A/C and Heat in the shop. Just need to get the stereo hooked up and ........

I have heat for winter here in Mi BUT to add air to my shop thats in 2and1/2 car garage well IMO its not worth it for the very few days its to hot to turn I just take the day off :O) I like working with the BIG door open 6 months or more of the yr and only reaally need heat about 4 to 5 months depending on how bad the winter is ! The last few have been mild IMO ....I sure do not panic ayt 90 degrees here BUT at 95 to a 100 well IMHO thats to hot to plow and Iam not willing to spend good money on AC that would be used in like 5 to 6 day a yr ! I am a AC freak in my house.... I expect to sweat and like to :O) in my shop !!! .....I weigh in at over 300 lbs and hate heat but I play golf in about any HOT weather its the dang humid conditions here that a kill ya :O) 90 degrees here and 75% humidity is wild and will ill ya ![8D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

turff49

We are finally getting a break from the heat. Humidity and dew point are going up though. Not sure which is worse. High this weekend only 87-90 dew point though will be 76 and humidity at 88. Yikes! And it's not August yet. Geeze we have to put up with this until around November.
Brian

alamocdc

Supposed to be less humid and cooler today although I couldn't tell it from the humidity when I left the house this morning. It should at least let me get back into the shop. I tried to turn two last night for an order I got, but I was wringing wet within 3 minutes and just felt miserable so that was the end of that. Hopefully, I'll be able to turn them tonight.

leehljp

Member Liaison
All you softies, especially from Texas! Can't you take a little heat. [:D]

I survived the "heat wave" of '80 in Ft. Worth. Around the 10th or 12th of June, 1980, it it 110° around noon and then we had above 100° EVERYDAY until mid-August when a huge but mild hurricane came ashore (around Houston/Galveston) and brought the temps down for a few days. I remember going to a ball game at Arlington Stadium that started at 7:00 PM (in July) and the temp was well above 100° on the field. Working on a freight dock loading and unloading trucks (at night) in Ft. Worth back then was HOT! For several days, it did not get below 90 at night.

What was it that Yankee general said? _ "If I owned Texas and h ell, I'd sell Texas and live in h ell." Well he could have both in one spot in '80. Hey fellows, One of my pride and joys was born there, another lives there now. I wasn't born there, but I went to school there as quick as I could get there. [8D]

coach

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />108* in Wichita Falls yesterday and the same or more today. My shop does have AC and Heat and I run the AC more than the heat. When Anthony reports 115, is that his golf score? We were the hottest in the nation, except for Arizona, over the weekend.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />105 Yesterday wit ha heat index of 113, last I heard. Worked 14 hours at work, no AC there. Supposed to be near the same today. The only turning I've done for a while is to turn the corner [:p]

Don, I lived in Iowa Park when I was very young. I describe the weather as the hottest place in summer, coldest place in winter with tornadoes in between!!!!!!!!!1

lwalden

Lee, I was working my first full-time job out of high school that summer (class of '79, had been there a little over a year) in a woodshop in Irving, Texas that was nothing more than a big metal building- steel girders supporting corrugated steel roof and walls, no insulation and no AC. We ended up having a few folks taken out with heat exhaustion during that summer, and they made everyone take a break every hour in order to drink plenty of water. Working that summer is a large part of what convinced me to pursue a career in banking (just think- air conditioning, lots of paid holidays, everyone has all of their fingers, and in most cases you have cuter co-workers....)
Originally posted by leehljp
<br />All you softies, especially from Texas! Can't you take a little heat. [:D]

I survived the "heat wave" of '80 in Ft. Worth. Around the 10th or 12th of June, 1980, it it 110° around noon and then we had above 100° EVERYDAY until mid-August when a huge but mild hurricane came ashore (around Houston/Galveston) and brought the temps down for a few days. I remember going to a ball game at Arlington Stadium that started at 7:00 PM (in July) and the temp was well above 100° on the field. Working on a freight dock loading and unloading trucks (at night) in Ft. Worth back then was HOT! For several days, it did not get below 90 at night.

What was it that Yankee general said? _ "If I owned Texas and h ell, I'd sell Texas and live in h ell." Well he could have both in one spot in '80. Hey fellows, One of my pride and joys was born there, another lives there now. I wasn't born there, but I went to school there as quick as I could get there. [8D]

Pipes

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />All you softies, especially from Texas! Can't you take a little heat. [:D]

I know about heat I use to UMPIRE decent quality of baseball and I have done 7 games in a day behind the plate all of them just so we could get done at a decent hour I had a large strike zone the hotter it got :O) 125 degrees on a ball field in all that gear a almost kill anyone IMHO ..I was in my 40's when I quit !! I have seen many young guys NOT drink enough water and pass out right on the field many times !![:D]And yes I have done it in Texas heat and Mi heat NO diffrence HOT is HOT add HUMID and now it can get serious :O)

I bet you never gave that poor plate ump a thought [;)] BUT then a good ump is one you hardly remeber was there after the game is over !

http://affordablepipes.com/

DFM

Originally posted by vick
<br />118 yesterday in AZ!

But it is a dry heat [:D]. I remember when it hit 120 in Carlsbad, it was like opening the door to hell everytime you went outside. I would go to Wal-mart just to cool off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom