Health Aids

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

OK looks like we are in this virus thing for a long time so thought I would add some medical devices that can be of use. Looking for a good reliable forehead thermometer, also a good finger oxygen monitor. I have used these in many doctors offices but never paid attention to brands or quality. So I am throwing the question out there. Any other devices that can be needed. I have a couple good blood pressure monitors so do not need them. What say you all?? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I purchased this pulse oximeter. It was delivered quickly and seems to work, although I have no way to determine how accurate or how well calibrated it is. My wife, who is a nurse, purchased (from Amazon) a couple of pulse oximeters and infrared thermometers; the pulse oximeters still have not been delivered (over a month now), and the thermometers were not accurate and stopped working after a short time.

So buying medical stuff on Amazon seems to be pretty hit or miss right now. You may want to check out some legitimate online medical supply houses; more expensive but you know you'll get stuff that works as it should.

Dehn0045

I have an ear thermometer (Braun) and a temporal IR (the kind that you actually touch to your forehead). We had both of these prior to the pandemic, I find that the temporal is good for daily checks but sometimes gives goofy readings. I usually run it 3 times in a row and take the average. The ear one is a bit more consistent.

The only other thing that I can think of would be a CPAP machine. Realistically one of these would only be valuable if hospitals are overrun and access to treatments is limited, so for most people will not be worth rushing out to buy one -- they are pretty expensive. But if I was high risk and if the current reopening starts to look bad I might consider it. Cautiously optimistic that this won't be necessary in the US.

Realistically our time and effort is probably better spent doing the things that are always good for us: eat right, exercise, sleep, get sun, use good hygiene practices, and eliminate stress. I hear that spending time in the shop and making pens is really good stress relief ;)

Curly

I went to the local drugstore chain and bought a pulse/ox for about $40Can, made in China. It probably isn't bang on like one in a hospital but it reads for me 96% to 99% whenever I check. If it drops and stays around 90% I'll call the provincial health number and they will likely arrange for me to get tested especially if I'm not feeling well. If heading down even more I'll still call the number and they will arrange for me to be picked up or waiting for me if we drive in to the hospital. Marla being a nurse will override if she sees reason to accelerate. The Oxygen levels are one of the better indicators something is wrong even before you start feeling bad. See if your local stores have any before you order online. I checked the local store online before driving there. They had half a dozen at the time a couple weeks ago. I wear an N95 mask and gloves when I go out, carrying hand sanitizer and Lysol wipes too. Stay safe.

sbwertz

I bought my wrist blood pressure cuff from Sam's Club and my pulse oximeter from Amazon. Both seem to work well. I use my regular non-contact thermometer (Harbor Freight). It is more accurate than the forehead/ear digital thermometer. I just aim the little red dot at the back of my throat, or underarm and it gives me a very accurate temp, checked with a mercury thermometer the first time I tried it. My vet uses one to locate inflammation on horses' legs. He just runs the little red spot down the leg and when he finds the "hot spot" he knows where the problem is. After all, a lame horse can't tell you "It hurts here."

TonyL

I bought two instant read from Walmart: one was the Equate brand and the other Vicks brand. They appear to work well.

Top Bottom