Headed to the lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Gary Max

Here is a pic of me headed to the lathe. This is about the biggest blank I can carry by myself---they get any bigger I use a crane.

200812819159_garyblank.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

So you entering the world's strongest man contest this month :D
I hope your not going to turn a slim line [}:)]
Did Margie take 5 minutes to snap that picture, your face looks a little red [:p]

Happy turning

rhahnfl

Holy smoke... I thought your woodpecker bowl was big. That's going to be a monster. Can't wait to see it. AND... if my hunch is right it really won't be very long before we see it. Once you get moving on a project you usually get it done pretty quickly.

Gary Max

Frank if I have a good morning ----I got four small items to turn---then this gets mounted up on the lathe. A lot of that will have to do with how cold it is in the morning---I am kinda slow when it gets down in the teens. Must be getting old:)
Gary your right about the 150 lb part----that's why I have the Big Mustard Monster---4224.

jhs494

Great picture Gary! I would love it if you would take the time to snap a shot of it on the lathe.
That is a monster.
Good Luck!

Gary Max

I will take a pic of it mounted on the lathe. I have spent several years building it up to the point where I am happy with it. I can turn up to 8 foot 6 inchs---I have no ideal why but she would get-er-done.
The largest item I have ever turn was a wood drum---it looked like a piece of pipe to me---my customer covered both ends with a hide and you gots a drum. It was about 400lbs-- we did use the crane to set it in place. That was a very good paying job.
The whole trick to this is just spending the hours turning.

Gary Max

That's another block of Sycamore----it's really a crotch section with about 6 different limbs---should produce a nice vase/Jar???????
One never really knows until it takes shape:D

Kalai

Wow Gary I thought my lathe was big-- you said "I have spent several years building it up to the point where I am happy with it. I can turn up to 8 foot 6 inchs---"
My lathe only goes to 4 feet 8 inches:D I can't wait to see the bowl, aloha.

Kalai

Gary Max

Kalai ---the resaon it took so long is because I had to hire all the machine work.
Karl---I picked this up last week on the way home from the store. There's a small wood dump that is used by the local tree services--- It's a easy way to get firewood or bowl blanks.

Fred

IF you made a pen from this 150 pound chunk of wood, then I trust that your shirt pocket will be very well reinforced.

That is definitely going to be a very nice "what-ever". PLEASE post pictures of it mounted on the lathe and then again of the finished project. I am sure we all here will be looking forward to seeing it. :D

Top Bottom