Hawaiian Ironwood log- crosscut or not to crosscut?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

So a friend of mine sent me a 6x6x8 log of hawaiian ironwood that his neighbor had that was just sitting in his garage for the last 20 years. All I need to do is send him a pen. Which way yields the nicest possible pen blanks? Straight cutting or cross cutting? I've never worked with this, or any, ironwood before. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Frankly, I don't like crosscut, except for some rare special wood species ... can't say what circumstances other than to say it seemed right at the time.

Arizona Desert Ironwood is one of my favorite woods to turn ... have turned a lot of it ... all cut parallel to the grain. . Haven't done any Hawaiian Ironwood, that I know of, but if it is anything like the Arizona wood it should be a great pleasure to turn and finish.

I assume the 8" side is the dimension parallel to the grain. . If you cut parallel to that you should get 64 pieces (8" long with about 3/4" square cross-section). . Each 8" piece could give you 3 Sierras (single barrel, either twist or click). . Or if you make two barrel pens (eg. Jr Gent) you could get one of those plus a Sierra from each of the 64 pieces. . A nice bunch of about 120 to 180 pens !! . I envy you !!

Would you mind posting a pic of that block of wood, please ... would be nice to see the color and how the grain looks.

Jolly Red

Seems to me you could slice a 3/4" piece off one side of the block, and then cut some end grain and long grain blanks from that. Then you could turn those into barrels and see which you like better. That would leave plenty remaining for making a lot of whichever you like.
Tom

Joebobber

Frankly, I don't like crosscut, except for some rare special wood species ... can't say what circumstances other than to say it seemed right at the time.

Arizona Desert Ironwood is one of my favorite woods to turn ... have turned a lot of it ... all cut parallel to the grain. . Haven't done any Hawaiian Ironwood, that I know of, but if it is anything like the Arizona wood it should be a great pleasure to turn and finish.

I assume the 8" side is the dimension parallel to the grain. . If you cut parallel to that you should get 64 pieces (8" long with about 3/4" square cross-section). . Each 8" piece could give you 3 Sierras (single barrel, either twist or click). . Or if you make two barrel pens (eg. Jr Gent) you could get one of those plus a Sierra from each of the 64 pieces. . A nice bunch of about 120 to 180 pens !! . I envy you !!

Would you mind posting a pic of that block of wood, please ... would be nice to see the color and how the grain looks.
Yes I will post a pic tomorrow. Thanks for your advice

Joebobber

Seems to me you could slice a 3/4" piece off one side of the block, and then cut some end grain and long grain blanks from that. Then you could turn those into barrels and see which you like better. That would leave plenty remaining for making a lot of whichever you like.
Tom
Yeah I was thinking that too at first, but I was thinking it would sure make for 1 heck of a bowl, and the less I cut on it the more my bandsaw will thank me.

Joebobber

Here it is...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200414-083401_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20200414-083401_Messages.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Screenshot_20200414-083346_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20200414-083346_Messages.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 149

robutacion

So a friend of mine sent me a 6x6x8 log of hawaiian ironwood that his neighbor had that was just sitting in his garage for the last 20 years. All I need to do is send him a pen. Which way yields the nicest possible pen blanks? Straight cutting or cross cutting? I've never worked with this, or any, ironwood before. Thanks!
With a 6x6x8 log like that, if you wonder how the cross-cut would look, simply slice a 22m thick off the log end, you may have to straighten it beforehand, after that you still have more than plenty to play with straight cut blanks, if you slice them in approx. 21/2mm thick boards and you want also to try the diagonal cut, on 1 of the boards, the one closest to 90mm wide, simply mark a 45° line at one end and then run in on the bandsaw or table saw at about 21mm, you will have enough for a few blanks cut diagonally but if you are concern they won't turn out good, leave the board as is after you got the 1 blank out of it, you can always slice it to 21mm straight cut.

Good luck,

Cheers
George

Top Bottom